Clutch help required

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
MartinAmes

Clutch help required

Post by MartinAmes »

My G11 was running on the old style AMC clutch with the little inserts. I was starting to slip on a regular basis, and no amount of cleaning the inserts, or tightening the springs, or adjusting the mechanism would stop it. The inserts are just worn out.
So I replaced them with the bonded type plates like for like. I left the inserts that are on the back plate of the basket in place as they appeared thicker and in good order.
Now I have drag and cannot adjust it out.
Is is possible that the mechanism that pushes the rod to activate the clutch has worn, and it is not providing enough movement to separate the plates?
Any ideas?
56G80S

Re: Clutch help required

Post by 56G80S »

I'm moving off solid ground with twins, but would that not be a Burman clutch on a '56?

Others will know better. In any case, I hope that any adjusters in the cable, handlebar & intermediate and at the box, were set to zero and then the adjustment started with ensuring the clutch pressure plate is running "level" which may mean that not all the pressure plate screws are tightened up the same amount, then the pressure plate centre adjuster set ( I usually do it up until it bites and then slacken off half a turn but check your manual). Once that's done adjust the cable so there is some free play at the handlebar lever (I use more than the manual says which memory suggests is 1/8"?).

Hope that helps.

Johnny B
Victor Johnstone

Post by Victor Johnstone »

Sorry if these are daft questions but have you used up all the adj? Is the actuating arm correctly set and the ball bearing fitted? I have a '56 as well. Burman.
clive

Post by clive »

Inserts on the clutch basket sounds like an AMC clutch. Is it married to a Burman box or has an AMC box been installed? I have sometimes found that new Burman clutch plates are too thick and have resolved it by using one worn plate replacing it once the clutch has settled down.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
MartinAmes

Post by MartinAmes »

It is an AMC box and AMC Clutch.
All the adjustment is used up.
It was slippign before I changed to the new style clutc plates

I think I will take a plate out, which should allow more seperation between the plates when the clutch is pulled.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Are you saying that you have run out of adjustment on the screw in the centre of the pressure plate, (ie. it's all the way in),? If so the push rod is probably worn short.

Rather than remove a plate, and increase the potential for slipping, it would be better to replace the push rod with one of the correct length, (or even make one from silver steel a little over length).

If you make your own don't forget to harden the ends by heating to cherry red for about a minute before quenching in oil.

Regards Mick