Oil tank

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
RodneyK

Oil tank

Post by RodneyK »

Thanks to your help I think I have the clutch and chaincase squared away, so on to the oiling system.
I seem to have a spare hose coming off the top of the oil tank on my 55 G9. I’m guessing it’s for a crankcase breathing system but my breather is in the crankshaft end so no need for this. What should I do with this hose?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Re: Oil tank

Post by dave16mct »

Never seen that before. May be a breather. Can you see where it goes inside the tank? There should be an oiltank breather on the back lower down, have you got that? By the way I'd change those screws holding the rocker covers for allen screws. You can then remove them easily with the tank on to check rocker settings or oil flow. It's looking good!
Dave
RodneyK

Post by RodneyK »

Dave, the hose is attached to a threaded fitting tapped into the neck of the filler tube. It just dumps back into the tank and looks like an add-on. At the bottom of the tank and facing the back is an open tube that projects in and up to near the top of the tank, inside. I presumed it was an overflow but it could be a breather. What to do with both of them? Just block them off?
Great advice on the rocker cover screws. I even have some allen screws in my box of parts. Didn’t know where they went. You look at my photos closely. It’s much appreciated. I feel like we are building this bike together.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The one at the back of the tank at the bottom is the correct tank breather. You can put a bit of rubber or plastic pipe on it and direct it to the rear chain at the gap in front of the chainguard. A bit of copper pipe with a clamp to hold it to the engine plate was the original set-up. You'll find pictures of it in the manual. I'd just plug the other one unless someone else has a better idea.
Dave.