Chaincase and clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
RodneyK

Chaincase and clutch

Post by RodneyK »

I found a Burman gearbox for my 55 G9 and have it in place. Then fitted an alloy chaincase with a little messing around. Had to fit it over the oil distributor cap and drill a new mounting hole. Now I’m having trouble with the clutch. As you can see, the last pressure plate just barely engages with the outside cage and the last steel plate is barely on the hub. I have 4 used pressure plates and one with new cork inserts. It’s much thicker than the rest, seen through the inspection hole. Should I pare it down? Will it wear in? I’m reluctant to tighten it down when the plates don’t seem to be perfectly in place.
All advice will be gratefully accepted. You have got me this far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Re: Chaincase and clutch

Post by dave16mct »

I'd remove one friction plate and one plain plate and assemble it. See how it goes, you can always put it back when it's all settled down and maybe worn in a little. It's no good as it is, it'll spin and you'll have no drive.
Dave.
RodneyK

Post by RodneyK »

Thanks Dave. Good to know I can do that. I can see now that the plates must be well inside the case so they don’t push out when the clutch push rod is applied. I’ll try it with four. Your help is much appreciated.
clive

Post by clive »

I have had to use a combination of new and worn plates to get them to fit. If you have a thicker first (first as put into the basket) plain plate with the slightly recessed teeth you have got it in the correct way round? Recessed part to the back so the plate goes further in.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
RodneyK

Post by RodneyK »

I’m pretty sure all my plain plates are the same thickness but I’ll check when I next have them out. Also, until I can get my outer chain case machined to fit over the engine shock absorber, can I run it dry? Just lube the chain when I use it? Not sure how much oil the clutch needs but I am aware of the bearing in there. I’ve seen some bikes with open primary drives. Just wondering.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I wouldn't do that. The engine shock absorber needs oil as well as the chain and clutch bearings. If you damage the mainshaft splines you'll wish you'd waited!
Dave.
RodneyK

Post by RodneyK »

No doubt. Thanks Dave.