A ? of Two post 1953(?) Airfilters

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
peterg123

A ? of Two post 1953(?) Airfilters

Post by peterg123 »

Folks will be asking lots of pesky questions as I attempt my double rebuilds of a G3LS and a G0, both early 50's. Patience.

So I've dug out two airfilters from my hoard. I am sure they are post 1953 because prior part 016791 seems to have had a round spigot hose attachment, not an ellipse.

One, with 2 x mounting tangs on the plain side, is obviously 02-2346.Image

The other has 3x mounting tangs but on outlet hole side! Both have the elliptical hole for the hose outlet.

Is one of these for the 52 (I think) frame with the "donut hole" casting on the rear down tube?

In any event where do either of them fix to? They do not match the battery holder lugs on the rear downtube

Does anyone sell the elliptical hose to connect to the carb? I feel like you have to be Sherlock Holmes to work out AMC's endless subtle changes.
MartinAmes

Re: A ? of Two post 1953(?) Airfilters

Post by MartinAmes »

I had trouble fitting the pictured air filter to my G11, and had to make brackets to fit the brackets.

The only place I found that sold the hose (not sure if it will fit as mine is a twin) is:
http://www.claussstudios.com/store/p377 ... 31_CS.html

Hope this helps.
MartinAmes

Post by MartinAmes »

After thought:

I have been unable to buy the air cleaner element only for this for the past 18 months.
MartinAmes

Post by MartinAmes »

If you have the space (I don't on mine), I would suggest fitting either a conical or pancake air filter, which are widely available