G9 Gearing

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Trefor

G9 Gearing

Post by Trefor »

My recently acquired G9 has a 21 tooth engine sprocket. It goes ok but as most of my riding is on 'B' type roads and around 50-60mph I thought it might be a bit more lively in top with the standard 20 tooth. Any thoughts from riders with more experience with the G9 ?
Groily

Re: G9 Gearing

Post by Groily »

My penny's worth - and there are probably as many valid opinions as there are owners - but I reckon they're a bit busy on standard gearing as they get up to 55-ish mph, and in my own case I have an extra tooth on the (Burman) gearbox instead. So if you're std on the 'box, I would personally stick with your 21, but it's such a subjective thing! They don't mind revs, so it isn't going to break I shouldn't think if you sit at 50-60, whichever way you go.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I too have been told they are a bit revvy and have been advised to go for a 17 tooth gearbox sprocket for more relaxed touring.

Regards Mick
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

Thanks, that's helpful. It seems the previous owner opted for the 21 for a reason . I'll ride it a bit more before making any changes.
GSAX1

Post by GSAX1 »

I have been riding my Model 20 on higher gearing (17 tooth gearbox sprocket) for over 15 years now. As long as the engine is healthy it will pull strongly even with this high gearing, and I have had no issues with this setup even on long hauls with lots of luggage.