Advance/retard cable

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Trefor

Advance/retard cable

Post by Trefor »

I'm sorting out the advance/retard cable on my recently acquired G9. The cable is hard up against, and bent around the manifold. The guide, screwed in to the magneto is 25mm long and then a cable adjuster 12mm fully screwed in. Can somebody describe the correct arrangement, and if these parts are the correct size?
Groily

Re: Advance/retard cable

Post by Groily »

Not sure what are the 'correct' sizes, if there is a specific prescription. But I think the body that screws into the mag is right - typical ones are up to 28mm from base of big hex to top (just measured a couple) plus a gasket/washer if fitted, so you might be ahead of the game there.
The adjuster could be reduced a bit from your 12mm fully-in, by taking a bit off the hex at the top, using a slimmer locknut, whatever . . . or you could just use a non-ajustable screw-in 'ferrule' to take the cable outer at minimum height, and put an adjuster or a fixed distance piece elsewhere to take up slack (a bit like throttle cables on carbs where the bend is too sharp between top and frame tube on some bikes).
That would get you some wiggle room, but I've never seen a cable run on one of these which is what I'd call really comfortable, they are inevitably pretty tight on the inlet manifold.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You may have the wrong cable.
I believe you will find you need pt. no. 018749 ( T386 ) for your G9. AMC classic spares stock them.
http://www.amcclassicspares.com/Cables% ... Levers.pdf
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

Thanks for the suggestions. I cut down the adjuster, ditched the lock-nut, and used a throttle cable with an adjuster in the cable. Still looks a bit uncomfortable, but operates smoothly.