Inner gearbox cover

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
joolz6

Inner gearbox cover

Post by joolz6 »

Hello
Please be nice to me as i am new here ! I own and have been restoring a 1955 AJS model 20 for the last eight years , does anyone know where i can get hold of an inner gearbox cover for my bike ? Part number G-2-6 . I have noticed mine has been badly repaired.

Many thanks

joolz6
Mick D

Re: Inner gearbox cover

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Try Steve Surbey at AMC Classic Spares:

http://www.amcclassicspares.com/

Regards Mick
joolz6

Post by joolz6 »

Many thanks !!! I have sent an email to them , keeping my fingers crossed they can find one for me !!!
joolz6

Post by joolz6 »

Who can help me with my gearbox ? A few weeks ago i was having problems with my kickstart but now the problem is worse . I decided to take the outer cover off the kickstart only to find a problem with the inner cover Managed to get another cover thanks to Mck D Aberdeenshire . I was taking off the inner cover ( whilst my 16 year old daughter was intently watching me ! ) then decided it was time for a break and make a coffee. On returning to the garage my daughter ( who has a learning disability ) had decided to help , there she stood over all the cogs lying on a heap on the floor saying look dad i got them out for you ! ( i did not know whether i should laugh or cry ) . Now i have no idea of what goes where . Can anyone explain to me which cogs go where ? There are two splines ( one above the other ) so i need to find out which ones are for the top and which ones are for the bottom one. I have notice as well as being all different sizes they all have different amount of teeth . So if anyone can explain which ones go on the bottom spline and in which order and the same for the top it would be a great help . I have tried looking at pictures of the box but cant make it out so am at a complete loss !! Please help >Many thanks john

PS its a 1955 AJS model 20
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You can download a copy of the 55 parts list here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf

It has plenty of detail regarding the gearbox and hoe it's configured.

Regards Mick
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Also look at the transmition section, Burman here: The exploded view and the B52 rebuild has good clear pictures and labels the gears with number of teeth and part numbers. Good luck, they're a simple box Yeas ago I built one from a load of bits found in a bin!
Dave.
clive

Post by clive »

That will teach you to slope off for a brew, this ought to help http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... rawing.pdf you can rotate it to get it the right way up but do use a computer rather than a phone!

they are actually relatively easy to reassemble, and you should be able to identify the cogs from the diagram. Good luck.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

And to make it even easier the numbers of teeth each gear has is stamped on it.

Regards Mick
joolz6

Post by joolz6 »

So far so good !! You folk are a great help !!! My next question ( Hopefully the last on on this ) I have a sleeve and a spring (only one of each ) that looks like they should be fitted to either part number G24-l or G24-r , but there is no mention of them in the parts list and i cant seem to find a picture of them on any drawings . Should the small sleeve and small spring be fitted to the top or the bottom or bottom of the afore mentioned parts ?
Kind regards
John
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Look at the exploded drawing here: http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... d_view.pdf
It clearly shows the order to fit them.
Dave.