Front Brake Removal

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
njhking

Front Brake Removal

Post by njhking »

After a great ride around on Saturday I thought it was time to inspect and clean the Front Brake mechanism. After slackening the nut and releasing the clamp nuts on the forks I removed the front wheel and was expecting the spindle to slide out. But it held fast. The wheel spins freely so its not seized but the spindle seem held, is there a clamp or nut I need to release? All I want to do is remove the Front brake mechanism from the wheel so I can inspect the shoes and hub. Do I need to remove the spindle or is there somethink else I need to release? The bike is a Matchless 1960 500 G9 and as far as I'm aware the front is standard.

Thanks

Nick
Mick D

Re: Front Brake Removal

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You need to remove the nut that secures the brake plate from the spindle - the plate and mechanism will then lift off:
Brake Nut Outer.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You don't say which year but page 55 of the Owners Manual tells you how to do it. It's a handy book. ;)

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The front wheel spindle will not slide out, the spindle has collars, the bearings but up against.
See parts list pic.
Ashampoo_Snap_14 June 2021_13h40m47s_001_.jpg

Your workshop manual would have explained the hub must be dismantled to remove the spindle. You only need to dismantle the hub if you have very worn/damaged / rusted bearings. Correct bearing are tapered, so can be adjusted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taid

Post by Taid »

Just a point to note .. there is a nut on the axle inside the brake plate . It is not fixed on the axle ..

It has to be positioned on reassembly so that when the outer nut is tightened onto the brake plate the plate is just missing contact with the rotating hub .. explained better in the workshop manual (pdf obtainable free on the club website .. )

Correction .. see next post for pdf source ..
Last edited by Taid on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Taid wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:46 pm Just a point to note .. there is a nut on the axle inside the brake plate . It is not fixed on the axle ..

It has to be positioned on reassembly so that when the outer nut is tightened onto the brake plate the plate is just missing contact with the rotating hub .. explained better in the workshop manual (pdf obtainable free on the club website .. )
PDF file not on the club website as far as I know. It's here,,,,,
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... models.pdf
Taid

Post by Taid »

Rob Harknett wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:28 pm
Taid wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:46 pm Just a point to note .. there is a nut on the axle inside the brake plate . It is not fixed on the axle ..

PDF file not on the club website as far as I know. It's here,,,,,
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... models.pdf
Oops .. my error. .. been a while since I got my copy, ...

Misremembered details ..

Thanks RH ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987