Mystery fibre washers

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Gstovold

Mystery fibre washers

Post by Gstovold »

Hi,

My Model 20 has a 1958 G9 engine. I am in the process of reassembling it after getting the crankcase repaired.

I am mystified by 2 x fibre washers supplied with the 156AM engine gasket set. Their inside diameter is about 13mm and they are unusually thick, about 3mm thick. I can't remember seeing any like these when the engine came apart and I am struggling to identify similar washers in the parts list.

They would fit over the oil banjo pipes but these require 4 washers, not 2 and in any case the old ones are the normal thickness for a fibre washer. The only suspect I can see is Part 016138 which is a gasket inside the oil pump. The book says there is only one of these? In any case I have not dismantled the pump so would not have seen it.

Anyone know??
washers.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geoff Stovold

AJS Model 20
Norton International
Velocette LE
Sunbeam S8
Royal Enfield Himalayan
dave16mct

Re: Mystery fibre washers

Post by dave16mct »

I've never seen those and I've just stripped a model 20 engine. My guess would be the oil banjos but you're better with the copper washers or the dowty type.
Dave.
Gstovold

Post by Gstovold »

Thanks Dave. It will be interesting if anyone knows. My guess was the banjos but you really need 4 of them, 1 either side of each banjo, and they don't need to be as thick.

Geoff
Geoff Stovold

AJS Model 20
Norton International
Velocette LE
Sunbeam S8
Royal Enfield Himalayan
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

I have seen these before, but can't remember where, they are possibly on fuel system like the taps.

Rob C
Gstovold

Post by Gstovold »

I will just have to hope that no gushing oil leak will appear that will require complete disassembly again!!
Geoff Stovold

AJS Model 20
Norton International
Velocette LE
Sunbeam S8
Royal Enfield Himalayan