G9 Clutch Assembly

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
njhking

G9 Clutch Assembly

Post by njhking »

Now my Frame has been straigthen after being punted off on a roundabout, I am on the rebuild stage. Having removed the Clutch assembly, Back chain case and Crank gear for the work to be done, these now need to be refitted. However, when I tigthen the centre nut of the Clutch any where near more than hand tight it no longer turns freely. It becomes tight against the back plate. I'm sure I havent lost any spacers or washers, but may be I have. I can't find much info on the components that make up the Clutch assembly and how they fit together on reassembly or whether there is a spacer that goes between the back case and Clutch hub. Am I missing something or do I tigthen the centre nut only until I feel the hub has fiction on the back plate. Any help on this would be appreciate.
G9 Clutch Back Chain Case.jpg
G9 Clutch Assembly.jpg
Having had and worked on Japanese bikes all my riding years, its certainly a learning exercise owning a Brit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Re: G9 Clutch Assembly

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You haven't mentioned the year of your bike in any of your posts or in your Profile so although it's not vital in this case it will help in future.
Have a look in the link below under 'Books' where you will find a Workshop Manual and a Spares List plus a great deal more.

http://archives.jampot.dk/

BTW - This website and Forums is funded by members' subscriptions so if you haven't done so I'd suggest you join the club as your time as a Guest is limited and with restricted access to all the info available. Spares supply is also restricted to subscribing members. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

If you do a search you may find this is usually caused by a worn clutch spider.
Dave
njhking

Post by njhking »

The bike is a 1960 G9. BTW I am a member.

Which component is the Clutch Spider? Do you have a link to the Clutch part so I can see a digram.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

njhking2712 wrote:The bike is a 1960 G9. BTW I am a member.

Which component is the Clutch Spider? Do you have a link to the Clutch part so I can see a digram.
Pt. No. 040354. Pages 34 and 35 in the Spares List in the link to 'Books' which I gave you earlier.

Here it is if you couldn't find it:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... G12CSR.pdf

You need to have your membership activated by emailing webmaster@jampot.com
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
njhking

Post by njhking »

This makes sense. With a worn spider, the Hub is able to ingress onto the Chain case when tighthen and score the case. So a new spider or less worn hub. Thanks for the help, this was really bugging me as I just couldn't work how what had changed, but now I see it was a problem before I had to take it apart,