Clutch slip feel?

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Chris B_LAPSED

Re: Clutch slip feel?

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

That all sounds very fun 😀 the G3 is a lovely bike and I wish I had kept her but now I have the G9 to keep me busy. Im getting to know the quirks the bike has. Dont they sound fantastic 👍

Post by 1608 »

My suggestion was merely to check that there was some free movement at the push-rod actuating arm in the gear box before any attempt was made to carry out the adjusting procedure via the primary case. Although familiarising oneself on how the adjust the clutch is a good idea.
There are a number of reasons you get clutch slip.
Poorly adjusted ie. no free play in the push-rod
buckled or worn out plates
weak springs
oil contamination, although a semi wet clutch should withstand some oil film. Too heavier grade oil does not help.
Clutch centre nut coming loose is a common problem on these machines.
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

I had a similar problem with a 1953 350 (Burman GB gearbox) turned out to be the little pusher in the three-ball clutch actuator. The centre had worn to a perfect inverted dome and the pushrod, under certain circumstances, was able to sit on the edge and hold the clutch out.
Stan
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

So just managed to get out and have a short run after adjusting the clutch through the inspection on the primary case and fingers crossed the clutch didn't slip and thats me purposely labouring the engine in 4th up an incline. Hoping that has cured it. My next issue came when starting the bike up. Any advice would be great.... literally I get 1 problem sorted then a new one comes along :headbang:

I started the bike and it never ticks over with the choke on from cold with out me there blipping the throttle slightly. Not a problem as such as it normally fine when she's warm but this time after start up and and into the first few miles it was spluttering and small poofs of smoke from the carb then after about 6 mile it seems to have cleared and was running OK. Its ever since I adjusted the carb from cleaning it. it never seems to be quite right with the tick over / air screw. What could I do to try and solve this?

Plugs are black (not wet) obviously running rich but how do I stop this from altering the carb

Thanks all