Re: Further discoveries..55 G9

Post by ajscomboman »

Mick D wrote:Cue Rob :roll: ;)
robcurrie wrote:
.. and Clive...

Rob C
Oh come now, are we that predictable??? :o :o :twisted:

Oggers, I'll send you a PM with my contact details and I'll tell you all you need to know about the stands. :beer: :beer:

Post by 1608 »

I'd be inclined to investigate the stiff rear wheel. Firstly check brake is not binding. second, check for tight chain. Third check that bearing isn't too tight. Failing all that ensure there is oil in the gearbox and the clutch is free.
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

The rear wheel is on the ground when on the main stand....it seems fine otherwise.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Oggers wrote:Malc - Do you have details of the main stand you mention please - I have not as yet subscribed to Jampot....
Hi Oggers. I forgot to mention - signing up to the club is well worthwhile. The expertise and support available here is well worthwhile, and can potentially save expensive mistakes, which more than offsets the membership fee!

Malc
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I never had any problems with centre stands doing the job intended. After some 60 years you are not in a position to judge how good or bad the stand was 60 years ago. When the bike was new, the bike rocked on the stand. It needed little effort to transfer the rock, so the front or rear wheel would clear the ground, for wheel removal. After 60 years of wear on the many parts of the bike, most bikes on the stand will have little or no rock. Getting the bikes on and off the stand also proves much more difficult. If you had never owned, like I have, a bike when it was new. You are not in a position to judge how well the stand works. Believe me, they are nothing near as good on a 60 year old bike, as they were on a new bike. Robs redesigned stand is said to work well. If you ask me why? I would say it is because it's design, overcomes all the problems of 60 years of wear of parts, plus the additional design to make roll on and off easier.
Simkat

Post by Simkat »

ajscomboman wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:41 pm
robcurrie wrote:
.. and Clive...

Rob C
Oh come now, are we that predictable??? :o :o :twisted:

Oggers, I'll send you a PM with my contact details and I'll tell you all you need to know about the stands. :beer: :beer:
Hello, I'm a new member, just bought a '57 G9. Are the improved stands still available please?
clive

Post by clive »

Oggers wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:11 am Malc - Do you have details of the main stand you mention please - I have not as yet subscribed to Jampot....
Don't encourage comboman. You appear to be a member so should get the club magazine. Look in the Services and Trade section on the adverts couple of pages in from the back.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Taid

Post by Taid »

MalcW wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 am .......................... I genuinely believe that fitting one of the new stands as provided by an AMOC club member and advertised elsewhere has avoided the need to train as a power lifter, and also possible surgery.

Malc
Very much seconded on that. My 16ms seems almost like a trained dog, and jumps up at the mildest of commands .. previously it always took 2 or 3 goes to get it on the stand .. if I couldn't get it on by 3, I put it on the side stand and went in for a cup of tea before trying again .. (only slight exaggeration)
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987