Further discoveries..55 G9

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Groily

Re: Further discoveries..55 G9

Post by Groily »

Taid wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:43 pm
MalcW wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 am .......................... I genuinely believe that fitting one of the new stands as provided by an AMOC club member and advertised elsewhere has avoided the need to train as a power lifter, and also possible surgery.

Malc
Very much seconded on that.
Oh Yes. Best centre stand I've ever had. I'm beefy, but the original on one of mine was a trial that a Goliath would have baulked at. Now, it's a doddle.
vince33

Post by vince33 »

MalcW wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 am ... I genuinely believe that fitting one of the new stands as provided by an AMOC club member and advertised elsewhere has avoided the need to train as a power lifter, and also possible surgery.

Malc
Hi,
could someone share the link of this post about the new center stand, please ?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

See advert top right of page 29 in this month's Jampot mag under AMC Repairs and Servicing
I don't want to put Rob Swift's private email address on the open forum.
Or you could email Rob at president@jampot.com
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
vince33

Post by vince33 »

:oops: Oh.... :roll: 'didn't saw that...

Thank you SPRIDDLER for your answer. :beer:
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

You just can't keep a good man down and I didn't have to chime in either! :rofl: :rofl: Another 2 stands sold today. :beer: :beer: :beer:
vince33

Post by vince33 »

Thank you Rob for your fast answer. :beer: :beer:
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Sidestand question is a great debate. I got a bit frustrated the other day, why was the Yamaha stopping everytime I went to pull away?

The sidestand was down and there's a trip switch.

No trip switch in the Matchless. I have that sidestand set to flip up. It's not been a problem except when I've fallen over because I was fatigued and thought I'd put it down when I hadn't. On balance, I'd rather do that at zero miles an hour than fall over when on the move.

Personal choice, that's a great thing about old motorcycles.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

56G80S wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 am Sidestand question is a great debate. I got a bit frustrated the other day, why was the Yamaha stopping everytime I went to pull away?

The sidestand was down and there's a trip switch.

No trip switch in the Matchless. I have that sidestand set to flip up. It's not been a problem except when I've fallen over because I was fatigued and thought I'd put it down when I hadn't. On balance, I'd rather do that at zero miles an hour than fall over when on the move.

Personal choice, that's a great thing about old motorcycles.

Johnny B
If you have a magneto that you can easily attach an earth to then its easy to buy a micro switch with a blade arm set to earth the mag when the sidestand is out. I fitted one about 7 years ago and despite oil and water its still working. Trouble is I have an oil switch with a cutout too and between the two of them I occasionally find I am kicking the bike with no chance of it starting. :headbang:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Clive, quite right, I have a cut out switch on the handlebars! When I eventually get everything back in one piece and the essential wiring tidied (in other words the indicators and two small LED spotlights) I might try that suggestion. Need a new spring too.

You're not on your own on the pointless kicking. I have been known to kick over a few times before remembering that the HT lead is off the spark plug.

On topic, Rob Swift's stand is great.

Johnny B