Distributor, oil metering jet

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
egr

Distributor, oil metering jet

Post by egr »

The 1955 AJS model 20 was fitted with a metering jet to replace the camshaft driven oil distributor. Can anyone help me with the size of the hole in the jet as my bike only has a hole where the jet should be.
dave16mct

Re: Distributor, oil metering jet

Post by dave16mct »

I don't know what size the jet should be but why not fit a distributor bush? I had a 1955 model 20 and that had the distributor bush.
Dave.
egr

Post by egr »

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, there is no drive lug on the end of the camshaft and the casing only has a 2BA screw hole to the end of the camshaft. This would indicate that this engine is designed to have a metering jet.
Perhaps unlucky to have one of the few engines built this way!
egr

Post by egr »

Further to my last entry the Metering Jet has part No. 022101
I've looked all over for one without any luck.
Andy.S

Post by Andy.S »

club spares has metering jets listed as 018890 any good ?
egr

Post by egr »

Thanks for your reply, Andy. Unfortunately, those jets are installed in the cylinder heads to meter the oil to the rockers.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

the factory send 27-03-56 a service bulletin to the dealers, about the metering jet, they had to remove the jet on all 1955 models, and use the oil distributor, no 022385 and the cap 014247 and washer 011642.you say there is no tang on the exhaust cam only a 2 ba hole, the oil distributor has a 2ba hole, maybe what you see, is the end of the distributor and not the camshaft, screw a bolt in the the hole, and try to pull the distributor out.
Poul
egr

Post by egr »

Thank you, Poul, for that very useful information. I think it was obvious that the distributer jet was a failure as it was only fitted for a short time.
I am away for a week but when I return, I will have a closer at my engine and report back.
egr

Post by egr »

Poul, thank you for your information and you were quite right the 2BA hole was the end of the distributor which came out easy.
The distributor is badly scored as is the recess which show signs of the engine running with dirty oil in the past.
I have ordered a new distributor from Dragonfly.
Thank you again, as it was not what I was expecting to see when I removed the end cap. Problem solved!!