Primary chain adjustment

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
dave16mct

Re: Primary chain adjustment

Post by dave16mct »

I'd give Mike Partridge at Waldridge Motors a ring. He may be able to help. https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJ ... e&ie=UTF-8
I've always found that the AMC box is worth more than double the value of the Burman. Note that that's a AJS/Matchless box and won't fit a Norton. All the internal parts will but the shell is slightly different.
Dave.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Only good news there Dave. Fingers crossed it works that way this time.
Note to self: Compare the 'boxes on my M31, P11 and 650 SS to see if I can spot the differences!
(Glad the only complete one I've ever bought was for a pre-unit Beesa though, have to say - £80 for a complete & not-too-grotty/ easy-to-rebuild one a few years back, which is probably no kind of guide whatever to the question in hand here and now but was cheaper than just buying the bits I needed to sort the one I had).
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The difference is in the position of the mounting lugs. I don't think there are any other differences except the N before the number of course! Also I think the Norton gearlever is 1" shorter for some reason.
Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

From time to time I've seen bids on eBay for AMC 'boxes reaching as much as £250.
When the first AMC 'boxes were produced (according to one of the factory testers, Alan Jones I think), who visited our section some years ago the testers were offered a fiver if they could break it. No-one did manage it.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
RodneyK

Post by RodneyK »

Thank you gentlemen. I was looking for advice on chain adjustment and have been led to find an entirely different gearbox. I learned much along the way and have begun my quest for a Burman B52. I will undoubtedly be requesting more help, and your willingness gives me hope that this project bike may one day run again.
Cheers
Rodney