Rear Mudguard Hardware

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Mick D

Rear Mudguard Hardware

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm trying to restore a 53 G9 to it's original condition and the rear mudguard has thrown up a query that I can't resolve by referencing the parts list.

There is a re-enforcing bridge which picks up on the two jampot upper attachments and is attached to the mudguard by four 2BA fasteners, (arrowed). I can't find a reference to these fixings in the parts list so can anyone advise how the bridge was originally attached, or even if there was a bridge originally?

Also, there are two holes aft of the bridge, does anyone know what these would have been for? I assume they are after market but happy to be proven wrong, perhaps they were for a rack, any ideas as to what type?
R M Guard Fasteners.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Rear Mudguard Hardware

Post by SPRIDDLER »

This is Resto Ray's resto of a '52 Model 20 showing the bridge bolt heads if it helps (although his mudguard doesn't have a central ridge like yours).
I don't have details of the month so it might be a '53 model.

I guess the extra pair of holes are as you suspect, a carrier - or perhaps a pillion pad as the pillion pad on my '47 Model 18 is fixed with two holes like on yours (but not so far rearward) but the front of the pillion pad attaches to two of the m'guard bridge bolts.
Rear mudguard bridge.JPG
Bike finished (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Re: Rear Mudguard Hardware

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Nev

So the bridge looks like it is correct and a PO has replaced the rivets with nuts and bolts, (during a repair which I have yet to fully investigate).

The bike has a dual seat so not pillion pad holes, been searching the interweb but can't find any image of a rack that would fit like that :?

Regards Mick