Inner gearbox cover

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
clive

Re: Inner gearbox cover

Post by clive »

joolz6 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:29 pm So far so good !! You folk are a great help !!! My next question ( Hopefully the last on on this ) I have a sleeve and a spring (only one of each ) that looks like they should be fitted to either part number G24-l or G24-r , but there is no mention of them in the parts list and i cant seem to find a picture of them on any drawings . Should the small sleeve and small spring be fitted to the top or the bottom or bottom of the afore mentioned parts ?
Kind regards
John
I cannot find part numbers G24-l or G24-r on the diagrams we have referenced, but they are a bit indistinct. The only sleeve and spring I can think of in the box are parts 19-7-3 sleeve and 36-8-2 spring which go on the main shaft outside the inner box and are to hold the kickstart ratchet in place and allow if to go free once the engine has started and before the kickstart returns to the upright position.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

clive wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:23 pm
joolz6 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:29 pm So far so good !! You folk are a great help !!! My next question ( Hopefully the last on on this ) I have a sleeve and a spring (only one of each ) that looks like they should be fitted to either part number G24-l or G24-r , but there is no mention of them in the parts list and i cant seem to find a picture of them on any drawings . Should the small sleeve and small spring be fitted to the top or the bottom or bottom of the afore mentioned parts ?
Kind regards
John
I cannot find part numbers G24-l or G24-r on the diagrams we have referenced, but they are a bit indistinct. The only sleeve and spring I can think of in the box are parts 19-7-3 sleeve and 36-8-2 spring which go on the main shaft outside the inner box and are to hold the kickstart ratchet in place and allow if to go free once the engine has started and before the kickstart returns to the upright position.
I'm thinking spring and cam plunger for the selector drum Clive.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Joolz6

Post a link to the drawing you are referencing please.

The only matching sleeve and spring are the kickstart ratchet ones as Clive mentions:
KS Ratchet Spring and Sleeve.png
The plunger Rob refers to is to the left of the yellow box here, (the spring is fitted inside the plunger):
Selector Bush Inner.png
There's also a coil spring fitted to the selector quadrant shaft and a small one fitted under the gear indicator cup, can't think of any others.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joolz6

Post by joolz6 »

Thankyou guys !! PS How do you upload photos on this forum ?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

joolz6 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:30 am PS How do you upload photos on this forum ?
There are several ways. The FAQ section has info although the website has been changed since some of the methods were posted.

I've detailed how I add photos, (always from my own laptop photo albums) which may seem long-winded, but once used to it the sequence of adding a photo only takes about 20 seconds.

These are the 5 steps............(You have to log in to see the step-by-step pics below).

Step 1

Forum photo 1.JPG

Step 2

Forum photo 2.jpg

Step 3

Forum photo 3.JPG

Step 4

Forum photo 4.JPG

Step 5

Forum photo 5.JPG

Non subscribing members (i.e. ‘Guests’) can add photos only by using a free hosting site such as Postimages.org and these can be viewed by anyone whether or not they have logged in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Fri May 26, 2023 11:20 am, edited 14 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Et voila!

Yes I know it doesn't have the correct spring for the rear stand. :headbang:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1947 Model 18 rear wheel
100_1332 (640x480).jpg
db133

Post by db133 »

Is it possible to post a picture in a topic ?

kind regards soggy
db133

Post by db133 »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:11 pm Et voila!

Yes I know it doesn't have the correct spring for the rear stand. :headbang:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dam good thrashing, firm but fair !

psst...... where ya get those springs ;-) !!

1947 Model 18 rear wheel

100_1332 (640x480).jpg
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

db133 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:55 pm Is it possible to post a picture in a topic ?
Yes, in your own post in a topic.
Not sure what you mean as there are only two places that you can post a pic;

1. In your own Forum post
2. By submitting it to the 'Photos' section (you need to be logged in) which you can find on the Jampot.com parent website here:
https://www.jampot.com/pic.asp
Photos section.JPG
Where ya get those springs?
I think I used a couple of sidestand springs temporarily which I already had.
db133 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:56 pm
dam good thrashing, firm but fair !

:o You should be so lucky. ;)