Lateral movement on crank drive chain spreockety

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Rallycarcamshaft

Lateral movement on crank drive chain spreockety

Post by Rallycarcamshaft »

Hi all, before I tear the engine apart……. I have just got a model 18 1949 running, runs well, good oil flow etc. the only cause for concern is a funny engine noise, like a clanking noise (i do not think it’s a big end noise, but may be wrong). Removed the chain case cover to investigate as it sounds like that side. Removed engine sprocket and realised that the spacer collar was missing. Just installed a new one thinking that was the issue but sadly not. If you hold the sprocket you can laterally move it, there must either be another spacer which has been left out or something else. Can anyone suggest anything as I don’t think you should have any later movement as the chains will not run true. Hoping this is my issue and it’s an easy fix! Thank you in advance for any replies.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Lateral movement on crank drive chain spreockety

Post by SPRIDDLER »

The spares list shows you all the parts that should be there.
See pages 15 and 16 here...........

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Chazzyb

Re: Lateral movement on crank drive chain spreockety

Post by Chazzyb »

I recall having seen & heard the crank drive-side shock absorber causing a clanking noise at low engine speed when not under load. I can't remember exactly what the problem was. It *may* have been the sliding outer part (STD-830) on which the spring bears, sticking on worn/damaged splines on the crank axle.
Charles