Model 18CS

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
silverfoxracing

Re: Model 18CS

Post by silverfoxracing »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:16 pm
silverfoxracing wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:30 am A normal B8ES plug is to long for the head and it needs 2 washers under it to stop it from bending the electrode over? any ideas on this?
Hopefully my earlier reply in this thread with info on Roy East was of some use to you.
Yes I read that, Thankyou. it is about all I can find!!
silverfoxracing

Here is a pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Chunky looking bike, Adrian. The 18CS models are to me the iconic British single.

A clear picture of what you believe to be the frame number would help. I believe that the factory competition machine dating records are scarce/incomplete and that comp machine dating info wasn't as organised as it was for the road machines. There have been reports of unstamped frames which were obtained from the factory by dealers for repairing damaged machines and competition 'specials' builders who stamped their own numbers which are generally recognisable as they are in a non-factory font, layout or location.

Here's where you would normally find an up to '57 frame number....
Frame no to 1957.JPG
And the '58.......
Frame 1958 single.JPG
Below is a general guide to dating a machine and frame number locations from the Club's 'Machine dating' section on this website which you'll find with this link:

https://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
silverfoxracing

cheers, Tried the dating but no records. Here is a pic of the frame number, On the inside of the frame between the 2 oil tank mounting bolts at the front. On the seat post up from the bottom of the frame if that makes sense
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Unfortunately I've never had a CS so I can't help with the validity of your frame number position or the font.
There are many owners of 'genuine' G80 CS bikes in the club so hopefully you'll get comments from those who can compare your frame marking with their own.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

My 1956 G80CS has the number stamped on the seat down tube between the oil tank and the battery. Hope that helps.
{EDIT]... This bike was exported to the west coast of America, where it stayed until a couple of years ago when it was imported back to the UK.
IMG_1024[1].jpg
G80_8054.jpg
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
silverfoxracing

very nice!! Yes mine is in the same spot.