1951 G80s timing/points/fuel?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1951 G80s timing/points/fuel?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Matchbox Kid wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:12 am Ooops... Mag not dynamo, must learn to read properly... but that site is a mine of useful stuff anyway so no harm in posting the link.
Yes, an excellent site. Shame that James isn't on here any more but at least his 'Clueless' website is still available and deserves the exposure.
-----------------

Nice one Ian. A lovely bike and a perfect end to to a productive day.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Old Thumper wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:01 pm Well I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their ideas :bow: .

Tonight was spent stripping, cleaning and blasting through the carb with my little compressor, cleaning and resting the points, re-timing the bike again from scratch and treating it to a new spark plug as well. The result......she fired up first kick and I have just had a very pleasant half an hour pottering around the local country lanes before the sun went down...without her missing a beat :D .

fingers crossed for a couple of uneventful runs to work then next stop will be the IJR :beer:
Bet it was the plug! :D And the beers on you at the IJR, see you there. :beer: :beer:
bitza

Post by bitza »

Years ago fitted four plugs to a car it ran like the proverbial bag of nails two plugs were duds