Rear wheel spacer

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Steve64

Rear wheel spacer

Post by Steve64 »

Hi all, I was hoping that someone could help me with my rear wheel spacer problem, I have a 46 500 Matchless and I have just purchased a spacer to what I was hoping to stop the brake plate rubbing against the hub but unfortunately it still does. Would anyone know the correct length of the spacer, the one I purchased was about 15/16” and the plate still rubs on the hub. Would anyone have any suggestions of the correct size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy.S

Re: Rear wheel spacer

Post by Andy.S »

Hi
Having checked our part number conversion chart the item you purchased 41-G3L-H106 translates to new part number 017516.
Unfortunately neither part number gives you any dimensions and I don't have a sample to measure.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I believe there are 2 sizes of spacers, 1 for springers (longer) and one for rigids (shorter) (check parts list). think I have examples in the garage, will look tonight/tomorrow. Cheers, Andy
clive

Post by clive »

Vague memory that I may have a washer between the spacer and the brake plate as I had the same problem. So long as it is at that end it cannot interfer with the bearing.
How much interference between the brake plate and hub have you got? might a washer sort it?

My other thought is about the hollow spindle bearing, is it symmetrical or does one side project further from the bearing? If so is yours round the wrong way? I did have to replace one 3 or so years ago but I cannot remember! :headbang:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Page 59 of owners manual shows the build up , http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf, one of the few spacers that don't have dimensions given in the parts book http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... 3L_G80.pdf. Id do as Clive suggests and fit a washer or make a new spacer if the bearing all feels OK
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

Thanks for your reply, I have attached some pics of the wheel hub from both sides as it was returned to me after rebuilding, I am assuming that the brake side bearing sleeve should be protruding more than it is.
Thanks, Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

I am confident the spacer is correct, I think it may have been assembled wrongly when wheel was put together . Time to re- do I think.
Thanks for help and advice, as usual it’s been invaluable.
Steve.