New member just bought a 1955 AJS Model 18

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
stuck_amals

New member just bought a 1955 AJS Model 18

Post by stuck_amals »

I just purchased a 1955 Ajs. The bike was local to me and last registered in 2019. The generator apparently went bad and was removed from the bike, sent off to be repaired and awaits installation.

My first task was to removed the oil tank for cleaning. There was lots of sludge and crap in the tank which was expected. The magneto puts out spark so that is good sign, right?

Removing the tank required removing the rear wheel to gain access to metric(?) bolt that was fastened to the oil tanks mounting tab. More on that in future posts, And I am sure I will have lots and lots of questions for this forum.

I am not new to British bikes. I bought my first bike in 1972 or so. It was a 1967 BSA Hornet without a side stand or center stand. And it leaked oil.

I saved my money until I could afford to buy that 1974 Norton in the showroom of the bike shop I passed daily on the way to work. I still have that bike.

Here are some pictures of my model 18
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it ain’t broke fix it ‘till it is
SPRIDDLER

Re: New member just bought a 1955 AJS Model 18

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the club Richard.
Nice bike - great fun the singles.
As you may have noticed from looking at the forums there's lots of experience available so don't hesitate to ask for whatever help you need.
If you don't have any manuals, spares list etc. you can find them all here under 'Books'.

http://archives.jampot.dk/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Unless its been bodged there should not be any metric nuts or bolts on your 55 AJS, mostly cycle thread for which you will want whitworth spanners, not AF or metric. Welcome to the club.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
stuck_amals

Post by stuck_amals »

Yes, it is bodge. It looks like a stud or captive nut broke off the rear fender.
If it ain’t broke fix it ‘till it is