AJS 18 Trials replica mystery numbers.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
MrShifta

AJS 18 Trials replica mystery numbers.

Post by MrShifta »

Hi lads and lasses, this is my first post having just joined the club. I have recently purchased the bike from Richard Gaunt in boxes. The frame looks like a modified one with the number A19394 down the front tube offside. Does anyone recognise the number ? I will try to post pictures later.

The engine is a 500cc all aluminium one with the number 007/55. ( ex James Bond ! ) The V5c states it is a 1955 bike. The engine number looks original, no sign of sanding off etc. Not being familiar with AMC bikes I have tried to look for the 1955 bike numbers online but nothing like them comes up.

I almost said " finally" then but I am sure there will be more questions to ask. So I need a 20t engine sprocket, not bothered about what the dynamo teeth are as there will be no electrics apart from the mag.

Any help would be really appreciated.

MrShifta
clive

Re: AJS 18 Trials replica mystery numbers.

Post by clive »

the frame number shows that the club dating service has some details. A website based query will cost £5 to a member via dating.jampot.com . However it does not sound to me like your frame number is from a 55 frame when the number would have been on the offside but near the seat. That year was I think a one year only frame, and for the road bikes with a large hole in the down tube below the seat, although a competition frame may have been very different.
where to find frame numbers jpg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Follow Clive's advice.This is what a 1955 frame would look like. The artwork used for up to 1957 actually is only up to 1954.
As Clive stated, 1955 was a one year only frame as seen below. The frame changed again for 1956/57.
Ashampoo_Snap_22 December 2021_10h43m11s_001_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

I remember the advert... the frame you have isn't a road frame... the front section is a welded (rather than brazed lug) competition frame... but the rear sub frame is not standard. I would post some pictures so that everyone can see what you have and comment more appropriately.
MrShifta

Post by MrShifta »

Thanks, that gives me something to think about, it certainly doesn't have the " hole" in the rear downtube. I will take some pictures and have a go at loading them up.
MrShifta

Post by MrShifta »

DSCN7273.JPG
DSCN7272.JPG
DSCN7271.JPG
Fingers crossed these will appear !!

The bottom rails are welded at the rear end but bolted at the front.
MrShifta

Post by MrShifta »

I have used the dating service and it appears that the frame number relates to a 54/20 model, year 1954 so presumably registered 55 as per V5C but the model 20 was a 500cc twin ?? did they use the same frame for singles and twins?

Not what I expected, any ideas guys ?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

That's an early 1954 frame number for a road model. Your frame looks like a trials from about 1960 onward (very nice too!). Do you have a V5?
Dave
MrShifta

Post by MrShifta »

Hi Dave , Yes I do, it just states 1955 500cc AJS motorcycle. I was baffled at first by the swinging arm which is in two parts with a keyway holding one side to the shaft, It looks as though similar bikes have a bar welded acros between the arms. All the parts for the bike are in very good condition and the exhaust and mudguards are new. Just need all the cables, lots of polishing a bit of tank painting, tyres and find a few missing bits then put it all together so hopefully done by spring.
Unfortunately I wont be able to ride it as at 81 and with a damaged right knee I couldn't start it. I have rollers to run and test it. I couln't resist it and I love a winter projet. I suppose in the past someone scrapped the original frame and bought a trials frame and stamped it with the original number. naughty, but nice .......