high rpm miss

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
DickV

high rpm miss

Post by DickV »

i have 1966 g80 with stock gearing except 17 tooth gear box bike mis at 35 mph in first and 52 in second 73 in therd bike has stock cams intake advance 1 tooth andlight weight rocker and opened intake port 32 mm also straight mufflerand 2 mm off the head i thought miss was point bounce so i bent point spring bit more i seems to 3 or 4 more mph higher their are no strang noise like valve bounce i do not have rev counter i dont know rpm any comment is apreciated thanks
dave16mct

Re: high rpm miss

Post by dave16mct »

Have you tried a new condensor?
Dave.
DickV

Post by DickV »

no Dave i wll try new points and condenser it turned to winter this morning- 10 with 4 inch of snow so no road test possible.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

certainly condenser is my guess , my G11 was almost un ride-able as i got near Lincoln for alternative until i changed the condenser then all back to normal
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Those are some impressive/scary speeds in the gears Dick in my view. I originally thought you might have been talking KMPH until I checked your location. Are you sure it isn’t valve float/bounce?

Iron Head
clive

Post by clive »

My thought too, either the speedo is over reading or you are really gunning it. 65 in 3rd is probably as far as i would push it.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I must admit that it's beyond me why anyone should wish to treat a 55 year old machine like that anyway. Perhaps those urges might be best served by buying something more disposable :| unless old bikes and spares are much cheaper over there of course.

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:42 pm ........... probably as far as i would push it.
Clive should know; he's pushed his bikes for a good few miles.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
DickV

Post by DickV »

l may be shifting too late. it pulls strong up to the misfire. Without a rev counter I don't know where the max shift points would be. It's nice to know the shift points when overtaking slow vehicles up a hill. The speedo is 5 miles too high according to my wife's car at 60 miles an hour. With my old Triumph when over revved accidently the valves would clatter and this one is quiet.
clive

Post by clive »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:01 pm
clive wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:42 pm ........... probably as far as i would push it.
Clive should know; he's pushed his bikes for a good few miles.
Sadly true, 1 1/2 miles uphill with the Norton engined G15 was the worst, sold it not long later!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix