first time running

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Stevecampy

first time running

Post by Stevecampy »

First start of a british bike ajs 18s After alot of messing with points and advance plate as it wasnt moving and all threads were bad.Know metric threads on points screws just to make life easy on the road if screws lost.Anyway this start up has got me asking loads of questions so here go's
lots of popping on over run is this normal or do I look for air leaks and timing .can you point me in the right plaace for charging check please as amp meter showing nothing . How do i find out whitch magneto fitted think its a sr1 with manual advance.Tne electrical system is all new from previous owner but all wiring is brown blue and earth as house cable Thanks :D also looks to have head gasket leak but thats for later. And yet one more the air /choke lever how does it work in the slider for one more fuel or down it the carb for more fuel Thanks :D :D :D :D
dave16mct

Re: first time running

Post by dave16mct »

Tell us what year it is and post some pictures if possible. Popping on the over run is usually caused by a loose fitting exhaust pipe in the cylinder head. Widen the pipe slightly with a steel tapered wedge or use silicon or gum-gum. Pull in the choke lever to lift the choke slide which puts the choke off. Generally only close the choke on start-up.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A SR1 mag is not manual advance / retard, it has an automatic A/R device.
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

Thank you all still trying to find how to post pics so you lot can tell me what i got .all the mag got on it is lucas.finding it hard to start it either go's first time or floods
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Stevecampy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:20 pm can you point me in the right place for charging check please as amp meter showing nothing .
You said you get 'nothing' on the ammeter. Have you checked the ammeter reading with the lights on (engine stopped)? With the lights on the ammeter should show a discharge which would at least prove that it is connected and working.
Next, put a multimeter set to DC volts (most have a 20 volt mark) across the battery terminals with engine stopped and note voltage. Start engine and rev it a bit. The voltage should rise if being charged.

After that see the 'Electrical guides' section in James' superb website for all you need to know here:

https://www.matchlessclueless.com/

For posting pics this is how I do it:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27956&p=237049&hil ... os#p237049
Stevecampy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:20 pm And yet one more the air /choke lever how does it work in the slider for one more fuel or down it the carb for more fuel
The 'Choke' is not adjustable but if you are asking about the needle in the carb slide you raise it to richen the mixture and lower it to weaken. The settings are in your owners manual, for which I can't give you a link as you haven't given the year of your bike (as already mentioned) in your posts or in your Profile which doesn't make it any easier for those trying to assist you.

EDIT - If you are referring to the air Choke which is operated by the lever on the h/bars the choke is 'Off' when the cable is pulled tight. To check, open the throttle fully and put your finger into the carb mouth. If you cannot feel any obstruction apart from the slide needle the choke is 'Off'
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

resize.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

resize2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

resize3.JPG
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

does this look right or wrong i have dont have a clue
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

resize5.JPG