First day with 18s

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Stevecampy

First day with 18s

Post by Stevecampy »

Well eBay sellers with held truth lol
First kickstart spring broken No spring at all
Speedo cable needed . Speedo drive and back wheel not in a good way . Still it ran for a few seconds then stopped not got it going again. Any way I have put back wheel together to the best I can need a pdf exploded Brie to help if all bits are there . Got a Speedo cable that turns and also a rear wheel that turns . Put a new spring on kickstart it just comes straight out of its hole help needed any advise great fully received Got a new Speedo cable of eBay before I got bike and it’s 2 ft too short
g80csp11

Re: First day with 18s

Post by g80csp11 »

get the spares list for your bike and owner manual , these show everything - follow link and download
http://archives.jampot.dk/
clive

Post by clive »

stop using ebay!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Steven.
It's a shame but not unusual to find that a newly purchased bike from a dealer or bought privately and claimed to be 'used regularly' or 'reliable' or 'recently restored' proves to be doubtful if not an obvious fib.
On the positive side, fixing these things helps to become familiar with the bike, plus I'm sure you appreciate that doing it in the shed is far more pleasant than on a wet night miles from home ;) '

With regard to your other post 'Lightweight or Heavyweight? the Lightweight engines were designed to look like unit construction to match the trend of other manufacturers whereas it was mostly cosmetic as the gearbox and engine were still two separate items.
Here's Rangy's 1961 G5 Lightweight which is very different from yours.......
Lightweight 1960 G5.jpg
Tip.......
It will be a help in future (you'll probably have more questions :) ) if you put the year as well as the model in future posts and in your Profile which at present doesn't show the year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

Thank you all
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

That speedo cable sounds like a gearbox drive from a Triumph, BSA or Ariel. You need one 5'5" (65").
Dave.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

The only place to buy Speedometer cables is JJ Cables!
Check the length protruding into the speedo, for Chronometric's it's 7/16" and Magnetics 9/16" any longer will damage the instrument!
Drunclej

Post by Drunclej »

Sounds like my eBay purchase of four years ago.....was intending to ride it 100 miles home .... fat chanceπŸ˜€
I am still finding wrong bits!
That said, I hope you get as much pleasure from yours as I have with mine... it may be a bit scruffy, and rattle a bit, but in 40 years of riding, I have never felt so attached to a motorbike.
clive

Post by clive »

Its been going on for years. My first AMC purchase in 1979 was a 49 G80L and as it had a recent MOT I rode it 25 miles home. The next day I noticed the rear wheel spindle on the brake side was loose, when I tightened it up the rear wheel seized. Fortunately on that year/model the spindle is independently secured on the other side!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

Gave up today It started once and just trying to brake my leg/flooding spark crap but guessing thats 6 volt thing