AJS 18CS Trials bike

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
fullchoke

AJS 18CS Trials bike

Post by fullchoke »

Hello,
Were bikes specifically made as a trials bike by the factory, or were they modified and customized by the owner? If they were factory made how can you tell?

Thanks
clive

Re: AJS 18CS Trials bike

Post by clive »

Generally frame number shorter and had a C. Engine number marked C
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A lot of bikes may have been put together and look like a trails bike. It's a cheaper way of just getting something to ride.
A gen factory trails model would state the model within the engine number like CS. As Clive states the frame no. may appear low.
That's because they had their own number series. The number having a C suffix. A gen trails model, with all the correct parts as when it left the factory would carry a higher price tag than a road model.
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

Thanks guys for that info. I got this 1957AJS a couple of months ago. The engine was stuck hard for a long time. The tires are old, probably from the 60's because they were before date codes were put on them. I remember the front is a trials tire, and it was a off road machine only, so I thought trials, the seat is trials looking, and the engine # has a CS in it. I will look for a frame #.
Back when I started riding, I don't remember bikes specifically made for Trials. Actually, I don't remember seeing bikes made only for the dirt either. We stripped the lights, and customized the rest, back then.
Would be cool if this bike was actually made as a Trials bike in 1957.
Last edited by fullchoke on Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

One other thing I forgot to mention about why I thought Trials... is when I removed the tank, the backbone on the frame is real skinny. I will check that frame number and report back. Thanks for the help.
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

It is a 4 digit number followed by a c. Does the c specifically mean Trials.

Thanks
clive

Post by clive »

fullchoke wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:21 am Thanks guys for that info. I got this 1957AJS a couple of months ago. The engine was stuck hard for a long time. The tires are old, probably from the 60's because they were before date codes were put on them. I remember the front is a trials tire, and it was a off road machine only, so I thought trials, the seat is trials looking, and the engine # has a CS in it. I will look for a frame #.
Back when I started riding, I don't remember bikes specifically made for Trials. Actually, I don't remember seeing bikes made only for the dirt either. We stripped the lights, and customized the rest, back then.
Would be cool is this bike was actually made as a Trials bike in 1957.
See
http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... ochure.pdf
In 57 they were selling trials and scrambles bikes with different spec. The C frame would be common to both models. The engine number would specify the type but I am now getting into an area others will know much better, but I suspect CS would be scrambles rather than trials, however who knows what changes may have been made in the intervening 64 years.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

check the link Clive gave for the 1957 sales cat. re what use models were intended for.
You can read.....MCS for Moto Cross. CS for Scrambles, MC for Trails.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

fullchoke wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:19 am Does the c specifically mean Trials?
C = Competition
Corners like a Lego man
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

Thanks again guys for that info. Clive that is very interesting reading, really appreciate that. I was hoping for a Trials bike, that would be more interesting, at least for me. I looked for info online on the Model 18 trials machine, and only found that they were rare. According to the brochure, there were no 18MC, only 16MC. None is much more scarce than rare. I guess that they were modified only by the owner into a Trials bike, which is like I originally suspected, except they did actually make a genuine 350cc Trials machine. Are there any detailed serial number records? Like build sheets that were saved on some cars and truck brands? I didn't write down my engine and frame numbers, but would be happy to post them, if they meant anything.

Thanks