500cc Top engine stay

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Shelby-Right

500cc Top engine stay

Post by Shelby-Right »

Can anyone supply any pictures and a couple of measurements of the top stay , mine is missing , so I will have to make one , any help greatly appreciated, Bike is 1949 Matchless 500 g80 rigid Cheers.
Rob Harknett

Re: 500cc Top engine stay

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... 0_G80C.pdf
See page 8 in your bikes parts list. Both parts, stay & C clip are available from club spares.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... 0_G80C.pdf
See page 8 in your bikes parts list. Both parts, stay & C clip are available from club spares.
Get hole fixing centres via the stud centres it goes on. You can work out the bottom width. It will be the O/A distance of the two fixing studs + about 1/4" each end. From the stud centre point measure up to the frame tube, deduct about 1/4" for stay metal thickness & tube clearance. If the rear end of the top of the stay fouls the tube, just Shaffer the rear of the top rad. to clear.
clive

Post by clive »

Rob Harknett wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:48 am http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... 0_G80C.pdf
Vaughn would need to join the club to benefit from purchasing from the spares scheme.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:48 am http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... 0_G80C.pdf
From Vaughn's Profile making one would be a doddle with his skills. Besides, I'd think the postage to NZ would cost more than the bracket. (Pt. no. 014373 @ £10.28).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Mount the engine then make a card template and cut one out of 3mm steel plate. You'll need to rig up a mounting ring to go round the top tube.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Shelby-Right

Post by Shelby-Right »

Easy to make , but would just like to make it look like an original , but I have only ever seen one end in an old book as drawn picture form .I have just made, nearly finished a S/S side stand as the Indian one i bought, fitted once it was tapped to 7/16 26 tpi, but the angle when folded was under the middle of the frame Cheers for your help .
Shelby-Right

Post by Shelby-Right »

Ok , I found a photo on the forum of a top stay and as explained it was looking like a 3mm plate bent and bolted to the head etc , I just found the only photo that I had previously seen in , " The new book of the Matchless " on page 105 showing a top engine stay which is quite different , does anyone know which design the 49, 500 might have . Cheers.
clive

Post by clive »

49 G80 the standard triangular stay with section bent at 90 degrees to fit over the extended bolts.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Shelby-Right

Post by Shelby-Right »

Thanks Clive .