Close Shave or What?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
spookefoote1956

Close Shave or What?

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Holy cow Batman. After sitting in the garage since before covid (BC) I took the Beast out for a cleaning and service and all that stuff. Oiled the cables and put that Dynolite Semi-Grease in the gearbox. Fired up second kick, brilliant. Gave her a wash and Claire came home from the shops so I fired it up again. Looked at the rocker box feed pipe and thought it shouldn't be wobbling like that. Lordy, it had sheared away from the end cap and I knew that wasn't meant to be part of the constant loss system. Stop the engine .......... quick!

I've now ordered a new end cap from our beloved spares department and the appropriate gasket. Hussah for AMOC Spares.

Big love to everyone, Chris

Edit: And after all that you realise that you had a spare end cap off an old engine already! Doh!! :headbang: :headbang:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Greybeard

Re: Close Shave or What?

Post by Greybeard »

spookefoote1956 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:56 pm

Edit: And after all that you realise that you had a spare end cap off an old engine already! Doh!! :headbang: :headbang:
Its comforting to know that Im not alone in amassing numerous duplicate spares :oops: Do you think our toyboxes are too big?

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Greybeard wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:05 pm Its comforting to know that Im not alone in amassing numerous duplicate spares
Hi

They're not duplicate spares, they're pre-provisions for future repairs / restorations ;)

Regards Mick - (very guilty :roll: )
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

It's weird, the panic overtakes the logic of looking round the garage at all those bits you've amassed over the years. Ah well, I'm covered if it happens again!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

You are not on your own in this regard.

Johnny B

PS I hope this isn't patronising - not what I mean to be - but there is a flexible connection in the feed pipe isn't there?