Not showing charging

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Rupert123

Not showing charging

Post by Rupert123 »

Hi,
After doing some work on my 54 500 18 i took it for a blat round the lanes the bike has been layed up for a while, it ran ok but i noticed the ammeter was not showing charging ,the battery is completely U/S should the ammeter still indicate charging , for your information it has a electronic voltage regulator fitted.
Also a big shout out for the club tin case primary seal fitted it and it has not leaked a drop well pleased.

Kind regards,
Martin.
Rob Harknett

Re: Not showing charging

Post by Rob Harknett »

If you have a dry cell modern battery fitted, it would need a high rate charger to kick it back into life.
Put a fully charged battery on the bike then see if it charges.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Modern electronic regulators need a certain voltage from the battery to work, therefore with a dead flat battery it will not work and your ammeter will show no charge. As Rob says, put in a good battery and all should be OK. The electronic regulators are more efficient and reliable than the old Lucas mechanical ones with this one exception - I charge my battery every month when not using the bike to avoid this problem. Andy
Groily

Post by Groily »

Andy51 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:20 pm Modern electronic regulators need a certain voltage from the battery to work, therefore with a dead flat battery it will not work and your ammeter will show no charge. As Rob says, put in a good battery and all should be OK. The electronic regulators are more efficient and reliable than the old Lucas mechanical ones with this one exception - I charge my battery every month when not using the bike to avoid this problem. Andy
That's true for a lot of them Andy, but one feature I value a lot on the DVR2 is that it WILL work with a flat battery, as indeed it will with no battery fitted. Very useful for bikes with batteries past their best which don't get used every day!
https://www.dynamoregulators.com/docume ... 2-data.pdf

In this particular case, with a regulator of some other make presumably, a charged battery may well bring things back to life. Fingers crossed.
Rupert123

Post by Rupert123 »

Hi,
Thanks for all your replies ,i had a feeling it was something like this ,the battery is so flat the the regulator does not sense there is any thing there so
It does not send any charge so to speak.
I shall get a new battery next week.
Regards,
Martin.