Magneto problem live!

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Re: Magneto problem live!

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:35 pm Hi John

Did they really recover it on the side stand? :o

Regards Mick
Yep... It's much more stable on three points of contact and strapped down securely.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Pharisee wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:52 pm

Regards Mick
Yep... It's much more stable on three points of contact and strapped down securely.
Yes so it seems, that's why the ferry companies don't like you putting the bike on the centrestand.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Pharisee wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:52 pm Yep... It's much more stable on three points of contact and strapped down securely.
True, but with the state of the roads nowadays it can put high torsional stress into the frame attachment area - I'd go for strapped down on the centre stand.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:40 am
Pharisee wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:52 pm

Regards Mick
Yes so it seems, that's why the ferry companies don't like you putting the bike on the centre stand.
Looks secure enough, I think the picture gives the impression the side stand is taking all the weight
Groily

Post by Groily »

ajscomboman wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:40 am that's why the ferry companies don't like you putting the bike on the centrestand.
Just to say Rob, Brittany Ferries broke the sidestand on my XJR Yam doing it their way, with other collateral damage.
I insist on centre stand nowadays on boats and have not had any problem.
clive

Post by clive »

A very dangerous comment Rob. I will never give an answer when Hilary asks How is the bike running? Its tempting fate to reply.
Called the AA at 8.30 am this morning still waiting for the relay van at 2.45pm
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Groily wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:34 am
ajscomboman wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:40 am that's why the ferry companies don't like you putting the bike on the centrestand.
Just to say Rob, Brittany Ferries broke the sidestand on my XJR Yam doing it their way, with other collateral damage.
I insist on centre stand nowadays on boats and have not had any problem.
I wouldn't let them use the sidestand on the 500 twin coming back from Santander. I put it on the centrestand and grabbed another ratchet strap much to their annoyance! Another guy with a Modern BMW tried the same and they wouldn't let him do it! Refused to give him an extra strap. I think there was a heated debate but by then I'd walked off
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

clive wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:44 pm A very dangerous comment Rob. I will never give an answer when Hilary asks How is the bike running? Its tempting fate to reply.
Called the AA at 8.30 am this morning still waiting for the relay van at 2.45pm
I know and I fully expect the worst to happen now. :headbang:
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I'm a firm believer that whatever I say has no influence at all. If it did I'd be an extraordinarily rich chap by now.

On the ferries front I just refused to use the sidestand and did it my way on the centrestand, went and found a strap. They weren't happy but I couldn't give a toss. I can be very stubborn.

Johnny B
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

56G80S wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:17 pm I'm a firm believer that whatever I say has no influence at all. If it did I'd be an extraordinarily rich chap by now.

On the ferries front I just refused to use the sidestand and did it my way on the centrestand, went and found a strap. They weren't happy but I couldn't give a toss. I can be very stubborn.

Johnny B
Sanp!!!! :D