Magneto problem live!

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
clive

Re: Magneto problem live!

Post by clive »

A follow up. The AA collected the bike at 2.45pm. I went home in the car with Hilary through some massive rain so some good news. The AA were going to relay the bike in one exchange but the poor driver who collected it had trouble with his van overheating! He ended up delivering it at 11 at night!

Now to the repair. My spare SR1 had had both the condesor robbed and the plastic cover. Local Halfords knew what a condensor was but had not stocked them for 8 years! Europarts could only help by asking for the car registration number.
So its onto the web to purchase. I think i will get a second one as a spare unless i go easycap. Will have to check but it may be a straight forward fit it which case it is first choice (Groily?)
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Groily

Post by Groily »

Hi Clive,
It's reasonably straightforward but there is some fettling because the board used is 'Universal' and has to cope with a whole variety of possibilities. For some pix of fitment to SRs (adjacent the wires that go from coil to points, at the insulated block halfway up the box) see
http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/easy ... as_SR1.htm
But it can equally go anywhere that suits, all it needs is to be in parallel with the points and the low tension coil winding.
Is it as easy as slotting in an exact or close copy of the original? No. But 'snot 'ard.
(If you go that route, you want the version with the 220nF capacitance.)
Cheers, Bill
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Clive, if I did EasyCap successfully, anyone can. You must be good at all that tiny stuff doing the Chronometrics. I just followed the directions on the website.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

56G80S wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:34 pm You must be good at all that tiny stuff doing the Chronometrics.
Johnny B
used to be but the bits are too small to spot the wear nowadays even using a magnifying glass.
clive
clive

Post by clive »

Well I got to the garage today with a new condenser made specifically for the SR1 (£3.16 plus VAT Stationary Engine Parts Ltd). Also replace the missing spacer under the points arm. Regapped the points and it started 2 kick, sounded dreadful, but I soon realised the journey from Ludlow on a trailer had encouraged wet sumping. Once it had cleared the sump it sounded good. Maybe if we had the correct BA spanner we could have got it going at the campsite with the Harley condenser and a homemade spacer. Anyway back in action, bring on the Autumn Rally. Thanks for the advice.
clive