1951 G80s - Clutch getting progressively stiffer

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Old Thumper

1951 G80s - Clutch getting progressively stiffer

Post by Old Thumper »

Having had a bit of loving recently my G80 had been running very well. I used it for work a couple of weeks ago (only about a 20 minute run) and noticed the clutch lever, which started smooth and normal to operate, was getting progressively stiffer to use. By the time I got home that evening it was virtually impossible to pull the lever at all. The bike was parked up as we were heading off for a couple of weeks away, but back now and am digging into the problem.

I suspected that maybe the clutch cable had got pinched or kinked under the tank, but having whipped that off the cable routing looks fine. Obviously I am just about to pull the clutch cover off and look for anything obvious.....but any pointers or "I had just the same thing" sort of stories would be much appreciated.
Mick D

Re: 1951 G80s - Clutch getting progressively stiffer

Post by Mick D »

Hi

A clutch getting progressively worse in use doesn't tend to be down to cable run etc. (why would it suddenly/progressively get pinched?). I'd check the cable for broken strands or corrosion, I'd also check the push rod is free to move and not distorted.

Check the handlebar lever is free to move with the cable disconnected

Regards Mick