Burman b52

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
willowbedone

Burman b52

Post by willowbedone »

Help I had to remove the outer cover to replace the clutch release mechanism.Now I cannot select the gears properly How do I position the gear change parts correctly before I refit the outer cover
Thanks
Ian
SPRIDDLER

Re: Burman b52

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Several illustrated articles here, Ian

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... on/Burman/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

Thanks Neville .Hope you are well I am hopping to come along to the next meeting at the Hassocks Be good to have a catch up
Ian
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hi Ian. I'm going away tomorrow for a couple of weeks in my motorhome so won't be at the July club night nor the Bunch Run on 4th to the Lakeside café at Horam.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:01 pm How do I position the gear change parts correctly before I refit the outer cover
Hi

It shouldn't matter really, though it is good practice not to have the selector cam barrel at either end of it's travel. I'd advise putting the cam barrel somewhere near it's mid travel position, (second or third gear selection), and to gently exercise the gear lever as you fit the outer cover to ensure the selector fork ends don't 'clash' with the dowels on the end of the cam barrel. (Easily said but tricky as you're also trying to align the kickstart mechanism :) ;) ).

Confirm satisfactory selection before final torqueing of the outer cover screws ;)

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Thanks Mick. I am a bit green with regard to Burman 'boxes which in many tens of thousands of miles I've never needed to open one up. However, you've attributed the quote to me when it was Ian's (Willowbedone) question but I expect he's seen your advice.
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

Thanks to both of you .Enjoy your time away Neville we will catch up soon