G80s box of bits

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Tommy-T

G80s box of bits

Post by Tommy-T »

I'm biting the bullet and about to order a monobloc 389.1 5/32" from the spares dept for a G80 1955.
I assumed this was a standard set up but the order form is asking what jetting and slide is required. Any advice please?
Rob Harknett

Re: G80s box of bits

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Car ... 60_AMC.pdf
Ashampoo_Snap_16 June http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_lists/1955_M_Spares_List_Singles.pdf [attachment=0]Ashampoo_Snap_16 June 2021_11h47m00s_001_.jpg
Your bike parts list will tell you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

See page 4 in your Owners Manual here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tommy-T

Post by Tommy-T »

Found on EBay, a monobloc 389 29, 1.1/8. How critical is the bore dimension, the correct bore for G80 is 1.5/32. Reading through old forums, there appears to be a wide variety of carbs fitted by members with good results.
Also the main jet at 260 was correct back in the day with leaded fuel but I now read of members increasing this to operate satisfactory on modern fuel. I'm confused !
Tommy-T

Post by Tommy-T »

I have ordered a new carb from Draganfly but they only have a 3 cutaway slide instead of the 3-5 as per the specs, what difference will this make ? Can I say goodbye to getting a ticket for doing 100mph +
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

I hope Draganfly were as free to offer advice as AMOC members :roll:
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Club has them in stock and you could have had it with the correct slide as well.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Got mine from AMOC Spares. Prompt service, all correct for my G80S and worked fine straight out of the box.

JohnnyB
Tommy-T

Post by Tommy-T »

In reply to the last three comments, yes, Draganfly did offer more advice than I received here regarding my last 2 posts which was nil.
Yes, they are sending me a complete carb with a 3 cutaway slide with the option to receive a correct one when in stock.
Yes, I bought from Draganfly as it was 44 quid cheaper.
I joined the club because my knowledge of old motorbikes was pretty scant so was hoping for helpful advice and to be fair that has been the case up to now.
My funds are limited so forgive me for saving 20% on my purchase.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Tommy-T wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:41 pm In reply to the last three comments, yes, Draganfly did offer more advice than I received here regarding my last 2 posts which was nil.
Yes, they are sending me a complete carb with a 3 cutaway slide with the option to receive a correct one when in stock.
Yes, I bought from Draganfly as it was 44 quid cheaper.
I joined the club because my knowledge of old motorbikes was pretty scant so was hoping for helpful advice and to be fair that has been the case up to now.
My funds are limited so forgive me for saving 20% on my purchase.
If you don't mind me asking can you send me the cost of the carb by PM. I'd like to see it as at one time we were the cheapest place to buy one and if that's not the case now I'll look into it and try to get a better price from the supplier.