G80s box of bits

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Tommy-T

Re: G80s box of bits

Post by Tommy-T »

Carb arrived yesterday with the correct slide!
Very pleased.
Jdraper

Post by Jdraper »

I got a replacement Amal for my '55 18S from AMOC as tickover and starting was hit & miss. My old unit must have been warped as the slide was sticking slightly (nasty when on full throttle) and letting in air.

It (almost) fitted out of the box, the only problem being the metal ferule fitting on the throttle cable being a fraction to big to fit in the adjustment thingy (cable was also AMOC) and I swapped it for the old one. Jets were as per the book and identical to the old unit and starting immediately became easier with a nice steady tickover after some tweaking. However, the bike feels a little down on 'oomf' at 45-65, so maybe I need to do some fiddling with the needle position. The old carb really allowed the bike to pull hard from 50 onwards and I miss that.

Well worth the expense.

Jeremy
Tommy-T

Post by Tommy-T »

I had the same issue with the ferule, not having a old one to use, a fine file sorted it out.
deejaybrown98

Post by deejaybrown98 »

ajscomboman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:51 am
Tommy-T wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:41 pm In reply to the last three comments, yes, Draganfly did offer more advice than I received here regarding my last 2 posts which was nil.
Yes, they are sending me a complete carb with a 3 cutaway slide with the option to receive a correct one when in stock.
Yes, I bought from Draganfly as it was 44 quid cheaper.
I joined the club because my knowledge of old motorbikes was pretty scant so was hoping for helpful advice and to be fair that has been the case up to now.
My funds are limited so forgive me for saving 20% on my purchase.
If you don't mind me asking can you send me the cost of the carb by PM. I'd like to see it as at one time we were the cheapest place to buy one and if that's not the case now I'll look into it and try to get a better price from the supplier.
Hi, back in May I was buying an 389/ 1 5/32 Carb from the club along with a few other small items. When checking out I noticed the shipping costs of £15 fixed charge for orders over £200. I was surprised at such high shipping costs but decided to proceed with the order anyway.
I then received email advising shipping costs 'calculated' at £27.85. I realised that VAT was also being added to that cost. I of course cancelled the order as such charges are just outrageous.
I paid £1 more for the carb and £7.95 shipping (DHL tracked) from another company.
I think the shipping costs are most in need of review by the club.
David Brown
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I think you will find that a shipping cost of 7.95 has a insurance value of £50 , so if it gets lost and they do you will have to argue who's fault it is . when im sending high value parts i always pay extra to cover the value of the parts if they get lost . of course you have the choice . you will only find this out when they get lost and you try to recover your money
deejaybrown98

Post by deejaybrown98 »

Most couriers now take photograph of delivery at the door.
I checked with Hermes and they insure to £300 for extra £10 making total about £17 for up to 5kg.
David Brown