'59 G80CS is it genuine and worth the money?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
NickG58

'59 G80CS is it genuine and worth the money?

Post by NickG58 »

Hi Guys,
I am in the process of selling my '56 G3LS as I fancy a change within the marque. I've always hankered after a G80CS and just found one on Car and Classics being sold by D.R. Classic Motorcycles. It is a thing of beauty. Very, very restored and I'm falling in love but is its genuine and is it worth it??
In the sold prices the highest seems to be 11.5k and this is over that.
I am sure some eagle eyed G80 aficionado will be able to spot it this one being sold is 'kosher'.
Opinions/guidance would be appreciated.
cheers
Nick
clive

Re: '59 G80CS is it genuine and worth the money?

Post by clive »

Richard Gaunt the owner of DR Classic Motorcycles is a club member and advertises in the mag, if he assures you it is genuine I am sure it is. You will have to decide if it is worth it because a bike is worth what someone will pay for it.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Very nice restoration but I still prefer ‘em as original as possible. My ‘54 G80CS has cost me under £5K including a recent main bearing rebuild. Some of the black was ‘refinished’ with a rattle can sometime in the ‘60s and everything is showing it’s age but I wouldn’t have it any other way. However if you want a showroom condition bike to ride, this could fit the bill very well.

Iron Head
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

My '56 short stroke G80CS cost me just under £6000, including delivery. It had been imported from California and like Iron Head's, it was pretty much original and totally unrestored. It wasn't without its problems, however. The gearbox leaked oil from the inner cover and final drive sprocket oil seal. The wiring was a disaster area, with the original rubber insulation perished and falling off, leaving bare wires. The suspension oil seals back and front were all leaking oil. That said, the chassis and chrome were totally rust free and the engine was OK... just needing the carburettor sorting and the valves adjusting. The 17 year old tyres were replaced as a matter of course and the seat was recovered by Leightons as the original cover had suffered in the California sun and was hard and split.
It's all sorted now... the "recommissioning" cost a few quid, but I'm very happy with it and I could probably sell it for more than it's cost me.
Oh yes... it was geared for competition with an 18 tooth engine sprocket. While I was doing the gearbox oil seal, I fitted 19 tooth final drive sprocket which made it a lot better at normal road speeds. At the moment, I have no intention of "restoring" it as I like its original look and patina!!
G80_8054.jpg
G80_8052.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Off topic, was it Richard Gaunt who used to be involved in Bond minicars (Hillman Imp based 875)?

Johnny B
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I was at Richard’s on Thursday and the bike look real good. It may be a tad expensive but it’s only Money 💰
Roy