G80s box of bits

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Tommy-T

Re: G80s box of bits

Post by Tommy-T »

Thanks Clive but I am a member, albeit, for five days! Unless I haven't clicked something?
clive

Post by clive »

You are not showing up as a member (it appears below your name) and your posts are still not appearing straight away as they are moderated. Your membership has not been linked up with your log in so you wont see all the site. Drop an email to Eamonn at webmaster@jampot.com who will sort it out.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Tommy-T

Post by Tommy-T »

Thanks Clive, I'll get on to that now.
Tommy-T

Post by Tommy-T »

Thanks again Clive, Eamonn has sorted it .
clive

Post by clive »

you should now have access to all the most recent adverts! if you need to place a wanted ad you can also do it for free. regards Clive = Adverts Ed
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Tommy-T

Post by Tommy-T »

Taking the advice given, I'm going to use the AMC box and clutch, both the burman and AMC plates were Rusty from the many years in storage. My question, is it wrong to use the plain plates with a pitted surface? Will it result in a snatchy clutch? Also as the engine is a 55 era, having shock absorber on the crank, will I require another sprocket or will it still marry up with the AMC clutch?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

If the clutch plates are flat (test on a flat surface) then I would just give them a good clean and use them. The '55 sprocket with shock absorber will line up OK and it'll be a super smooth runner! If it bothers you maybe make a spacer to replace the spring. I'd try it first.
Dave.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Tommy-T wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:38 pm Taking the advice given, I'm going to use the AMC box and clutch, both the burman and AMC plates were Rusty from the many years in storage. My question, is it wrong to use the plain plates with a pitted surface? Will it result in a snatchy clutch? Also as the engine is a 55 era, having shock absorber on the crank, will I require another sprocket or will it still marry up with the AMC clutch?
My '54 G3/LS has the original crankshaft mounted shock absorber coupled to the AMC gearbox via the AMC clutch with the rubber shock absorber. As Dave has said, there were no problems with the sprockets lining up but be aware that the AMC clutch sprocket has more teeth than the Burman, so you may need a longer primary chain
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Tommy-T

Post by Tommy-T »

Thanks both for your reply, keeping the spring in place for a super smooth runner sounds great as does re-using the clutch plates, fingers crossed the chain will fit.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I ran an AMC box and clutch with a 1956 engine for decades and it was fine. I did change the spacer behind the engine shaft shock absorber, though the difference didn't appear to be much though.

Do pay careful attention to the alignment of the sprockets and avoid the primary and dynamo chains clashing; not good if they do.

JohnnyB