1949 model 18 rear wheel spacers

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
clive

Re: 1949 model 18 rear wheel spacers

Post by clive »

Thanks Mick there is about 10 thou clearance and the wheel spindle is clamped. Next time I take it off I might take a little off.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

20210428_182853.jpg
20210428_182950.jpg
Hi Clive,
I was able to move the boss along on the spindle, it was not as tight as I thought it may be. AMC apparently did make rear ends of their rigid frames with slots of differing dimensions. Mine is just over 7/16" and the spindle fits in it perfectly. I have taken some photos ,which I will attempt to attach. I have bought a collection of dismantled speedo drives off e bay and will attempt to assemble one with a 5/8" diameter hole to use. Speedo drives with a 7/16" hole in are a bit like rocking horse poo, there are just none to be had anywhere. Probably due to riders fitting their rear wheels without the inner spacer and crushing the speedo gear box drive, I will get a spacer turned to replace part number 41G3LH265 that has a 5/8" spigot on it to centralise the speedometer gear box .The spigot length being about 10 thou less than the thickness of the wall of the speedometer gear box. Now that I have at last got my new rear wheel built correctly, (thanks to the Central wheel company providing me with the correct sized spokes) I can hopefully work out the correct width of the spacer to fit inside the speedometer gear box. Steve at AMC Classic Spares does not have any in stock and the club spares scheme do not list them . If anyone has a 1949 model 18 and can tell me the definitive size of this spacer I would appreciate it. Steve from AMC Classic spares thinks that they are 3/8 " but I saw on another site that they were 11/16" I will have to see how these dimensions compare with whatever measurements I get or what other club members can advise.
If the photos do upload you can see from the dark area on the spindle where the boss was and how far it had to be moved download/file.php?mode=view&id=14003
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steven S

Post by Steven S »

That speedo spacer is definitely 3/8" and was the same for all 40s models (I've seen plenty). I'm not sure where the 11/16" measurement came from because the 1950 rigid measured 3/4" and then for 1951 it was 1 1/16", same as the S models. Looking at your spindle assy, the issue is going to be the fixed spacer outside the speedo gearbox - for 1949 this should measure 1 1/8" but yours looks considerably shorter...

Hope this helps
Steve Surbey