no oil returning to the tank

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
willowbedone

Re: no oil returning to the tank

Post by willowbedone »

Thanks for that I'll give it a go tomorrow I'm just worried that if I don't get it all out it will soon find its way into the new internals in the engine :!:
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

:D Result clean petrol running out of oil tank now after a good soak and shake The oil tank is clean and fitted to the bike Now filled with fresh oil ,pipes connected nearly ready for start up :beer:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Exciting time.
It can take a few minutes at a fast tickover (up to 5 minutes - one heck of a worrying wait) before you'll see oil returning to the tank. You can help to speed this up by putting a cup of oil in via the top of a pushrod tube after removing the rocker access plate. Also put oil in the oil tank compartment with the filter in place as it will soak up some oil.

(You wrote earlier that you may go to Kempton tomorrow. I emailed to you a couple of days ago the mobile number for one of a couple of Sussex members who will be there so that you can meet up over a brew. Essex member and Club Chairman Roy may also be there with his stall of precision scrap :shock: ).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

Yes thanks Neville not sure if going to kempton as my mate might not be able to make it But I have Roy's number and if things change I will definitely call him
Thanks for all your advice it's been a great help I'll be putting my big boots on just in case I have timed it wrong and it wants to kick like a mule :lol:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

The secret is remembering to retard the timing and not to prod nervously at the k/start with your foot, but to give it a ruddy good no-nonsense swing...........and keep your knee bent ;)
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

Getting ready oil tank filled I was expecting the leval to fall but it still looks as full as it was Friday Tuesday will tell I just hope I get a running engines with a good flow of oil returning to the tank very quickly
:P
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

It's alive :beer: 3 good kicks and away it went oil returned to tank within a minute a nice steady flow. Then when after a while I reved it a little and the front oil pump plate started to leak first thoughts were rocker oil feed pipe but on further look it's the plate leaking ( to much oil pressure ? ) I did kick it over quite a few times with the spark plug removed Hopeing to prim the oil pump if this helped with quick return to tank well maybe .Now trying to find a new oil pump front plate Owners club are out of stock so are AMC spares If anyone knows where else I can get one please let me know
Beside that I am over the moon it's running again :D :D
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Just flatten the plate by rubbing on some wet and dry paper stuck to a flat surface, (piece of glass / MDF).

Regards Mick

Too much oil pressure :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
clive

Post by clive »

Please use the adverts section or the special adverts part of the forum to place your wanted ad. We dont allow them in the general forum area. Thanks Clive Adverts Editor.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Great result Ian :beer:
The oil pressure in these roller main and big end bearing engines is very low so that won't be the issue.
Yes, grind the plate on a flat surface as suggested.
Don't be tempted to wind the screws in over-tight. They are (as you obviously know), of small dia with fine threads going into alloy.