No good return of Burman kickstarter lever

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Dallis54

No good return of Burman kickstarter lever

Post by Dallis54 »

Hi All! I´m new with an AJS 18CS 1954 with a GB -55 (it has number GB 27M 55 on top of inner cover, then a bit further out no. B72) is it correct understood GB its from -55 but whats B72 ? So, havinge done some Britbikes in the past but no AMC/Burman I did a simplier overhaul to see if I can get it re-registred in Sweden. Gearbox leaked oil (not so much elswere even if been in a dry barn 35 y). Fixed new gaskets and oil seals. bearings, gears looked fine as well the cam assy. I didnt replace but adjusted a sharp end of the spring 36-8-2 and I smoothen an edge of the kick gear sleeve. When fitting the kick spindle in outer cover the oil seal was a bit tight but when rotating it felt o.k. I think I rotated about 2+ revs from fully slack lever spring when positioning the outer cover in place. Now all operates o.k, clutch, gears - NO GB LEAK - but the kick lever doesnt swing back.. ?? Have only been driving 7 - 8 km. Could it be that the axial spring or kick gear sleeve is jerry ?? Or shall I simply have patience and wait until the oil seal softens up or spring "breakes in"? Please help - really charming bike and would love to have it on the road.
Anders D.
Mick D

Re: No good return of Burman kickstarter lever

Post by Mick D »

Hi

A couple of things to try:

Slacken the screws holding the outer cover on, if the kick start action improves either the seal is not correctly seated or the cover is pinching the kick start mechanism.

Try re-seating the seal and fit a gasket between the outer and inner covers, (if there already is a gasket fitted, fit another thin one).

Two turns of the return spring is about right in my experience.

Are you using the correct parts for a GB gearbox? (not standard fit for your bike)

Regards Mick
Dallis54

Post by Dallis54 »

Many thanks for the advise. I think the parts are corerct. Ordered the oil seals (the one with spring ring at kick spindle , the gear spindle a coned special only rubber ring) from a local shop for Brit bike spares. I check that screw slackening trick and gaskets are pretty available here.
Many thanks - I assume more to follow later on. Looks like a gerat forum and alot to learn when surfing around - very god.
BR / Anders D.
Shelby-Right

Post by Shelby-Right »

Hi , I'm new to these as well , but i did my kick start shaft last month on my 49 500 g80 , I have a CP Gearbox ,different i know, but I think you have a similar flat wound spring , i had the same problem , I had to rummage around in my old part boxes i got with the bike , and found another spring it is wider, about 10mm . Cheers Vaughn
Dallis54

Post by Dallis54 »

Thanks again all, I assume its the standard spring, felt pretty tensonable indeed. However I did now slacken the outer cover screws a bit, without having oil coming out. Result now is that the lever almost swing back by itselves without personal help... Much better. Many thanks. One fault could also be that I replaced worn flat original screws with socket head versions and some threads had UNC1/4" Heli coil (less friction) - which may cause a harder pressure even if you try to not over tight.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

It's binding internally on the steel kickstart bush. I've had it happen on a few boxes. I'd not recommend you leave the screws slightly slackened as they have a nasty habit of coming adrift on there own, especially the inner cover screws and I advise locking them in with threadlock.
Tommy-T

Post by Tommy-T »

I had the same problem after a couple of kicks it wouldn't return. I found I was missing one of the two studs fitted into the cover, the one nearest the Kickstarter. Fashioned a replacement, now works correctly.
Tommy T
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

are you using gaskets between the cases , ive seen a few boxes with sealant only and the clearances can bind up the box.
Always use good quality gaskets rather than corn flake packets . helps keep the oil in as well