1954 G3LS Footrest

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
saltymike

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by saltymike »

Questions questions..

This one should be easy!

Does the left hand footrest (same side as primary drive) fit inside or outside the bottom frame tube? Mine is fitted inside, so to remove it means taking out the footrest securing bolt from the right hand side and pulling the bolt back far enough for the footrest to 'drop out' (?) Of course this also means removing the exhaust pipe etc etc.

There are a few spacers on the bolt, which leads me to suspect that the footrest could fit on either side of the frame??

Hoping for some definitive replies!!

Regards
Michael
saltymike

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by saltymike »

Oh dear - surely someone must have an opinion?

Yes, I have searched the forum but there doesn't seem to be anything definitive - maybe it was another yearly variable or perhaps the title of my topic was too explicit?????

Oh well, work stops play as I'm fitting a new kitchen so that I can have a large sink to wash motorcycle parts in (ha ha)
Rob Harknett

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by Rob Harknett »

Correct footrests go outside the frame. Your comments suggest you have not got or looked at a manual or parts list for the bike. I guess you wont find an answer to the question in the forum. Having asked it, I would suggest you do not start work on your bike untill you learnt more about it from books. Starting from the very basic begining. I cant for the life of me think how a correct footrest can go inside the fame.
saltbox alf
Deceased

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by saltbox alf »

Hi Mike, my bike's a '55, foot peg to the out side of frame rail and as far as I can see other years are the same. I would think that mounted on the inside of frame it would be quite tight to the primary chaincase, there are not many photo's with a good view of the mounting point but look at the distance from the foot peg rubber to chaincase distance, generaly a couple of inches.
Just goes to show how important it is to take lots of pictures or make drawings!
I am just starting to put my frame together and guess who did not take some pics of it!! re bolts.

You might get some more answers now as the web site has been down.
Nothing wrong with being explicit.
I have to make do with a bucket for washing!!
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Rob Harknett

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by Rob Harknett »

Very soon, only a bucket of water allowed or £1000 fine here in GB. We are running out of water.
saltbox alf
Deceased

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by saltbox alf »

You will have to start drinking copious amounts of wine (we have loads here) and bathe in asses milk.
Don't worry too much, easter is just round the corner, bound to tip it down!!
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
MikeM.

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by MikeM. »

Haven't washed the cars for a while, when I do it generally does the rain making trick.
bigwol

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by bigwol »

Stop washing them on sundays then Mike!
It's all just riding motorbikes
SPRIDDLER

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Couple of pics - '54 G3LS. Footrest comes off without any dismantling.

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
saltymike

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by saltymike »

Thankyou - especially spriddler. That is exactly the information that I was looking for. I always suspected the footrest was wrong but it does fit very 'neatly' and doesn't stick out too far. It is difficult to remove though!

Just as a by-the-by I'm fairly sure that some G3 models did have the footrest inside the frame but can't be sure - anyway mine is definitly a '54 so I'll change the mountings.

I have to say that on the subject of parts books or the manual (come to that) neither of any that I have make it very clear at all how anything actually fits together. Maybe there's a better parts book than those on the websites?

Regards
Michael