G3LS Engine sprocket size ...

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Dr-Sidevalve

Post by Dr-Sidevalve »

The engine sprocket needs replacing on the G3LS that I am re-building. There are several different sizes available ranging from 15 to 21 teeth ...can anybody recommend a size to me ? ..It has been suggested to me that the one I have (18 Teeth)is too small.I have never ridden the bike so I haven't been able to use the try it and see principle. I prefer to lean a bit on the high side to maintain a stress free cruising speed as I do ride open roads... I'm running a 16 tooth sprocket on the gearbox (Burman B52).. The bike is 1954.
bjork

Post by bjork »

I think that 18t is standard for the 350 but you can easily check it in the manual/parts lists. A 19 would make a difference but I bet you wouldn't want to go too much higher.
You can get the manuals from Christians archives.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
itma

Post by itma »

A high gear is no less stress as you have to change gear more often, up hill or two up.

also it might affect the charge rate as the dyno might not turn fast enough, there are quite a few variations on the dyno drive sprocket.

If you want to go higher do it on one up the gearbox
clive

Post by clive »

18 tooth standard for the 350, go higher you will get problems with hills unless you are very light and carry no pillion.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Dr-Sidevalve

Post by Dr-Sidevalve »

Ive had a look at the manual on Christians archives (what a handy resource cheers Bjork.) and I think 18 tooth will do just fine ... The advice I received on the size of the sprocket being too small. ( I was told it was for sidecar use !) turns out to be incorrect ..
Groily

Re: G3LS Engine sprocket size ...

Post by Groily »

Resurrecting this post for you Tazmantic in case it's useful . . .