Side stand length

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Side stand length

Post by G3L1946 »

Evening to all,

Could someone do me a favour and confirm the length of the side stand on a 1955 G3LS?
My bike seems to lean at quite an alarming degree when on it. It fits and operates but I’ve a feeling that a ‘shorter’ version may well have been fitted.
From the bolt hole to foot measurement would be helpful. Mine is ( bolt hole to tip of foot ) 28 cm.
Like my centre stand, it might just be bent and need attention.

Regards,

Steve
dave16mct

Re: Side stand length

Post by dave16mct »

There are a few reasons why your bike is leaning over further than you would like. Wear on the pivot bolt, the inside bearing parts of the stand and the boss (and hole) on the frame are common faults. Also stands can bend to make matters worse and the frame rail itself can twist which is hard to spot. All fixable with a little patience. Most stands are the same length.
Dave.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Dave,

Thanks, I will investigate further. I considered welding a piece of metal onto the foot just to raise it a bit but was trying to avoid that option if possible.

Regards,

Steve
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

My '61 has a suicide stand, a good gust of wind can be enough to move the bike enough for the stand to snap in and the bike to fall over. Becuase the power of the sping I have never been able to use it to aid with getting off the bike.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

That sounds risky! Both my centre and side stands are in need of attention. The centre stand does not allow rear wheel to be off ground and is ‘raked’ too far forward ( angle is well out, discussed on separate tread). Side stand works but angle bike leans makes me nervous!
Steve
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

G3L1946 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:32 am That sounds risky! Both my centre and side stands are in need of attention. The centre stand does not allow rear wheel to be off ground and is ‘raked’ too far forward ( angle is well out, discussed on separate tread). Side stand works but angle bike leans makes me nervous!
Steve
We've discussed the centrestand fix. :rofl:
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

jackstringer wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:23 am My '61 has a suicide stand, a good gust of wind can be enough to move the bike enough for the stand to snap in and the bike to fall over. Becuase the power of the sping I have never been able to use it to aid with getting off the bike.
Why not move the spring location anchor point to just behind the frame/engine front lower stud. Drill some holes approx 1" rearward of the brazed lug. Either that or make a small mounting plate and hold it under the stud nut. It won't spring back then.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi ajscomboman,

Correct, had the discussion, and will follow it up when my funds allow! 👮??? not watching! 😆

Steve
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

I have 3 side stands, and they are from center of bolt hole to tip of foot 29cm.
Poul
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Poul,

Thanks for your reply. So, my 28cm is probably correct ( my measurements might be a bit+/- ). As Dave said, they are all ‘about’ the same length. I’ll remove it and see what I can find, if anything, that can be rectified. I would have been concerned if you told me they should be 39cm! 😂

Thanks for confirmation,

Steve