Centre stand issue

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Centre stand issue

Post by G3L1946 »

Good afternoon all,

A couple of questions re centre stand. Is the stand installed in a particular direction ( by that I mean does it have a rear or front facing aspect? To me it appears that it doesn’t make any difference which ever way it is placed, both ‘ faces’ appear the same. Although, looking in the 1955 parts manual it does ‘appear’ to have the legs slightly angled one way ( 016340 ).
Secondly, I have read that the stand should slope forward by between 8 to 10 degrees from the vertical. Mine is more that this which, I assume, is why the back wheel remains firmly on the ground when on the stand.
Everything seems to be present and correct. Any solutions please, much appreciated.

Regards,

Steve
ajscomboman

Re: Centre stand issue

Post by ajscomboman »

I have replied to your PM message Steve. Basically the factory stand bends around the pivot hole and over a period of time it lets the legs go more of vertical and eventually the rear wheel touches down. I won't say anything about those aftermarket ones here incase the coppers arrive! :rofl: :rofl:
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,

Thanks for info, I’ll look behind me and head off to the PM.

Cheers,

Steve
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Steve, yes you can turn the stand around if its worn, the very early stands were quite spindly and could bend out of shape, the eyes for the top hat spacers can deform or wear, the hammer heads or the frame stops can wear. One solution is to add some metal (weld) to the hammer heads to get the required angle.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for the reply. It would appear that the stand is omnidirectional and not angled one way. The picture ( drawing ) in the manual gives the impression that it is angled. As my old uncle would say ‘ an hoptical illusion’.

Regards,

Steve