What spark plug

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Tazmantic

What spark plug

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi all and I know this question has been asked and answered loads as did a search but I’m still a tad unsure. The book says KLG FE80 which I cross referenced as in between a NGK B7ES and B8ES but others have said champion N5c are the ones to go for but they are equivalent to B6ES so hotter still. This is for a 1954 16m engine.

Cheers
Everyday’s a learning curve.
SPRIDDLER

Re: What spark plug

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've used whatever I had on the shelf; B7ES's, B8ES's and N5C's in the same '54 G3LS engine for 25,000 miles (section runs, foreign touring - Pyrenees etc, including a straight 410 miles in a day cruising at 55 - 60 on the last leg of a 1,200 mile run back from the Italian Jampot) and tbh I've never noticed any difference in performance.

(You worry too much, Neil. These low comp, long stroke plodding singles aren't that fussy ;) )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks again Spridller, I’m slowly learning this about these old plodders 👍
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tazmantic wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:14 pm I’m slowly learning this about these old plodders 👍
Didn't we all have to! But you've come to the right place. Keep putting 'em up so that when we old boys are just bags of crisps you can continue passing on the same help to newcomers and youngsters, on here or anywhere else. Even remote fettling by keyboard is satisfying.

I'd say that anecdotally the Champions have a slightly better reputation than the NGK plugs and no doubt higher tuned bikes and Twins can benefit from a bit of experimentation with different grades but I've never had one of those or a Twin. I used to juggle with different spark plugs when I scrambled my Greeves back in the mid 60's but that was a fussy 250 two-stroke single and I think the rather raw Castrol R oil mixed with the petrol was much to blame - but it did smell nice.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:49 pm
Tazmantic wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:14 pm I’m slowly learning this about these old plodders 👍
Didn't we all have to! But you've come to the right place. Keep putting 'em up so that when we old boys are just bags of crisps you can continue passing on the same help to newcomers and youngsters, on here or anywhere else. Even remote fettling by keyboard is satisfying.
Well I’m hoping I will be able to one day, since joining the forum I’m definitely using the parts lists and manuals more but they can only tell you what it should be there is no substitute for years of knowledge and experience which is on here.

I’d did read that some preferred the champion but went for the NGK in the end only really due to price and from a reputable dealer.

Cheers
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I've taken to using Brisk plugs
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

spookefoote1956 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:32 pm I've taken to using Brisk plugs
I’ve not heard of them, just googled but can’t find a cross reference for a B7ES which one do you use?

Cheers
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

L17c You won't see them on the website so you need to contact Peter spark@briskplugs.co.uk . Lovely chap, he'll tell you how to order them.

028 8555 7111 telephone
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

You can also get Brisk plugs from F2 Motorcycles: http://www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/brisk_spark_plugs.html
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I've read about Brisk spark plugs and how good they are supposed to be, ran across one on a single that came in for service and the bloody thing failed! Just lost it's spark for no reason at all that I could see. Swapped it for a N4 Champion and bike fired up straight way.