Fork oil checking/replacing

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Tazmantic

Fork oil checking/replacing

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi I’m looking at checking and probably changing the fork oil, reading the book I take it to remove all the oil (as I don’t know what’s in there as in type) I would need to remove the shocks from the bike? And also I need a sae20 fork oil to refill?

Many thanks
Everyday’s a learning curve.
Duncan

Re: Fork oil checking/replacing

Post by Duncan »

Tazmantic wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:39 am Hi I’m looking at checking and probably changing the fork oil, reading the book I take it to remove all the oil (as I don’t know what’s in there as in type) I would need to remove the shocks from the bike? And also I need a sae20 fork oil to refill?

Many thanks
If you want every last drop out then that is the only way to guarantee it, however be prepared to find other fork bits that you need when you do so or to struggle getting the forks out and apart (special tools help) if they have been together for a while, it may be easier to drain, fill and work the oil out a couple of times as a way of flushing it through.

I use SAE20 oil but have a friend who uses SAE 20/50W to no ill effects.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks for the reply, I need to check an issue on the head race bearings so might wait till I do that to inspect the forks as well then, they might just need topping up at mo as they sound a bit slurpy. Is that fork oil or just engine oil you use?

Cheers
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

With most riders being heavier nowadays I find that SAE 30 gives better damping than 20. Always found 20 was way too soft under braking.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You don't need to strip the forks or remove the damper rods (your 'shocks'?) to change the oil.

See your Owners Manual page 53 here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf

Fork oil change.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

ajscomboman wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:42 am With most riders being heavier nowadays I find that SAE 30 gives better damping than 20. Always found 20 was way too soft under braking.
I fall into that category :rofl: I see Halfords do a 5w30 fork oil didn’t know they did multi grade fork oil
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I put 20/50 engine oil in my roadholder forks once when I needed to get the bike out for an MOT and didn't have any fork oil to hand. They were very stiff... even the MOT tester commented on it.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

ajscomboman wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:42 am With most riders being heavier nowadays I find that SAE 30 gives better damping than 20. Always found 20 was way too soft under braking.
Talking from personal experience?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:42 am With most riders being heavier nowadays ........
Odd that, in spite of all your dieting efforts........
Rob dieting.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Normally when you can see your ribs , you need to eat more !, but in this case you can only see the ribs on the plate LOL