New Matchless Project

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Peter Morris

Re: New Matchless Project

Post by Peter Morris »

These get Denso, and anything else you can think of, off easily.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
t7ommy

Post by t7ommy »

clive wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:16 pm So this has the makings of a nice bike but it is far from a standard 47 G3L so go down the route of continuing to make a special. A quick check of the photos shows 5 1/2 brakes alloy petrol tank the alfin barrel an alloy top yoke (fitted 48 to 50 i think.) an alloy cylinder head (47 would have been iron) and of course the drilled gear change! All suitable for a trials or off road bike. There is quite a lot missing but if you go for ally mudguards a comp style single seat, new or secondhand carb should all be fairly easy to track down. Good luck.
I agree Clive it’s never going to be a 100% correct restoration, but I like the fact that I can produce something nice from what I have and that you guys also appreciate what is there. I will continue cleaning and gather parts, I’ve already purchased a pre mono block carb I’ve found. The trail/trials is what I’m going for. Hope to source the certificate to get it registered when it’s further along the build process. I will keep you updated with pictures and updates of the build as it progresses
t7ommy

Post by t7ommy »

Duncan wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:13 pm A couple of places to look for non standard trail parts:
https://www.feked.com/trials-bike-parts/
https://www.terryweedy.com/
http://www.progressiveclassicproducts.co.uk/index.html
Thank you for the links Duncan they will come in useful and appreciate your opinion on the bike.
t7ommy

Post by t7ommy »

century wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:02 am gday mate ,what a nice bit of gear,building a 350 from bits this way ,no concours job I'm impressed with yours,love the upswept pipe mine will have one,take care,dave
Thanks Dave nice to know I’m starting with something others can see potential in. Never been a concourse man myself. I like the used look.
t7ommy

Post by t7ommy »

Sooooo...........
An update on progress, im still cleaning and replacing the odd nut and bolt and slowly working my way through the bike ordering new/second hand parts. its all a learning curve with these older british bikes for me
This shot was taken just before i removed the forks for servicing, eying up the second hand carb and measuring up the tank as someone previously had a go at welding the tank mounts on and made a bit of a dogs dinner of it.
got the gearbox back in situ after cleaning and checking bearings, installed the footrest bar but its too short to accommodate the footrests so, going to have to source another i've since found out that there are various different sizes something i wish i knew before ordering this one
carb spacer arrived and fitted new gearbox top mount/adjuster assembly fitted and new timing casing bolts fitted, i'm not going to go mad replacing all the bolts for new ones this is never going to be a concourse build,but im happy with how its looking so far. second hand iol tank arrived in the mail today so i will be offering that up tomorrow and trying to make my mind up on either hard or soft oil lines, im swating more towards hard lines as i prefer the looks of he more period fittings

Im awaiting the clutch i've ordered hopefully arriving early next week. and also a load of parts ordered from AMOC so i will keep taking pictures along the way and keep this thread up to date as much as i can.
century

Post by century »

good gear mate ,looking great,my 49 frame was done for short circuit or something else,but looking foward to doing this as a special,the bloke cut all the tank ,oil tank and most of the brackets off ,no probs can fix that but oil tank will be under the carb,great score with your bike and cleaned it up spot on ,dave
bodgie dave
t7ommy

Post by t7ommy »

century wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:10 am good gear mate ,looking great,my 49 frame was done for short circuit or something else,but looking foward to doing this as a special,the bloke cut all the tank ,oil tank and most of the brackets off ,no probs can fix that but oil tank will be under the carb,great score with your bike and cleaned it up spot on ,dave
Yeah it’s clean up nice Dave. Are you building something similar then? Come across a few set backs today with parts I’ve ordered being wrong. The main one it the valve lifter not being right I will get some photos of what I mean
t7ommy

Post by t7ommy »

small update............

i've received some more parts from AMOC and other parts i've sourced like the clutch and oil tank, i believe its not quite the correct oil tank for the year frame i have, but fitting hasn't been a problem a few adjustments to how i've mounted it taking into account the oil lines being clear of the gearbox adjuster. also given it a coat of black paint to match in with the frame and engine plates and primary chaincase.

i managed to source a clutch i believe to be correct for the year, a few parts i need to get before a test fitting is the race and rollers and also the clutch rod and primary chain, all of which i think i can get new?????

And this is how it sits at the moment......... I still need to make a fork tube puller to get the fork legs fitted after there rebuild to get it rolling again, Then i will be able to take it to a friend of mines fabrication shop to get the fuel tank mounted correctly as well as the exhaust mounts figured out. More Photos to come as progress continues