Kick start modification

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Kick start modification

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi all,

Whilst trying to set the timing etc. on the G3 I’m continually frustrated by the kick start just ‘locking up’.
I’ve read the posts and understand why this happens. The remedy, one of a few, is to grind the first tooth down on the quadrant. After examining same I noticed this has already been done either from factory or previous owner. I further understand that a ‘factory suggested’ modification was to do the same to second tooth. Question, good idea..? I don’t want to end up with a u/s quadrant. If I do attempt the next tooth modification, how much would be best to remove? I was thinking maybe slightly less than the first? I’m assuming a standard file would not suffice so angle grinder or wheel.
The other remedial action for ‘out on the road’ doesn’t really help me in the garage!

Thanks in anticipation,

Steve. 1955 G3LS.
Last edited by G3L1946 on Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajscomboman

Re: Kick start modification

Post by ajscomboman »

You'll find it's a combination of wear on the pinion gear as well as the ratchet quad, I've had to grind the first 2-3 teeth down to form a more gentle lead in onto the quadrant and this seems to help the locking issue. It won't cure it and no new pinion gears are available as far as I'm aware.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,

Thanks for reply. So, you ground the first three teeth? O.K. so feel a bit more confident in tackling the second tooth to see if it ‘helps”. File probably won’t be up to it so some careful application of the small angle grinder or wheel.

Regards,

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It may be coincidence but I find the 'jamming' kickstart generally engages fine after I've depressed it once with the clutch pulled in.

BTW - when setting the ign timing I engage top gear and turn the engine by edging the (off the ground) back wheel around. I can't see how you can obtain sufficient accuracy by using the kickstart.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

I’ve been using the kick starter mainly for manoeuvring the timing cams into position for checking and resetting the valve timing. Rear wheel, yes, for ignition timing ( block of wood under centre stand gives the lift to clear rear wheel from ground ).

Steve
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

G3L1946 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:22 pm I’ve been using the kick starter mainly for manoeuvring the timing cams into position for checking and resetting the valve timing. Rear wheel, yes, for ignition timing ( block of wood under centre stand gives the lift to clear rear wheel from ground ).

Steve
Someone makes a centrestand that lifts the wheel clear off the deck and is very easy to use apparently! :D I'm off before the cops arrive! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

🛃 you are already booked.