Chasing some assistance with 1941 G3L

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
g80csp11

Re: Chasing some assistance with 1941 G3L

Post by g80csp11 »

Thats correct as I had the wheel still in the bike , so the brake cover was fitted
as shown in the picture of your rim , and a rim image posted on the Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:07 am
clive

Post by clive »

I have this hub fitted to my 48 frame. When i got the bike the front wheel was offset to the the non brake side as yours is. I assumed all was correct with the parts and dived in to tweaking the wheel rim across by tightening the spokes on one side and loosening on the other. This has served me well for many years. However a little while after doing it i found there were different length nuts to go outside the brake plate. A shorter one might have pulled the wheel into the correct alignment. BUT when i look at the off side of the spindle it is already not flush with the end of the slider. If i used a shorter nut outside the brakeplate to pull the wheel across the offside of the spindle would be even more recessed. Hope this all makes sense.
So my advice would be if the off side end on the spindle is flush or slightly recessed from the end of the slider (after bouncing the suspension up and down against the front brake with the offside cap fractionally loose to ensure the sliders are correctly aligned) then the rim will need tweaking across. If the spindle projects then you could look for a shorter outside nut or turn down the one you have. Remember you only need to reduce the nut by half the amount your wheel rim is offset.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Aussie_G3L

Post by Aussie_G3L »

Clive

Makes perfect sense. Definitely an offset issue as has been pointed out, the distance between edge of rim and edge of brake drum is out.

Cheers

Al